Jimmy Kimmel Oscars jokes

Jimmy Kimmel’s most controversial Oscars jokes which left all the celebs cringing

Emma Stone was not impressed

When the Academy selected Jimmy Kimmel to host this year’s Oscars ceremony it was widely considered they’d chosen a safe pair of hands to host. There would be no slapping this year. And, while no A-listers stormed the stage in response to his set and demanded he kept their wives name out of his mouth, it was still evident Jimmy had unexpectedly pissed off a few audience members— most notably Emma Stone, who appeared to call him a “prick”.

So, in case you’re wondering exactly what Jimmy Kimmel said last night, which caused everyone on X/Twitter to start begging for John Mulaney to take over instead, here’s a rundown of the most controversial moments from his Oscars set – including Holocaust jokes, incest insinuations and a lot of general whining about everybody’s films being way too long:

When he said the Academy let their kids choose the Best Animated Feature winner

Animated films have long fought for the recognition they deserve in the industry and were only officially recognised by the Oscars in 2002. Which is why, many people in the Academy Awards audience and those watching at home took umbrage with Jimmy suggesting the Academy had let their kids fill in the ballot to choose who would win Best Animated Feature. “Don’t get this idiot back,” one person reacted on X/Twitter.

When he said all the films were way too long

Jimmy borrowed from Hugh Grant’s Bafta repertoire last night when he claimed most of the nominated Best Pictures were way too long. This, in combination with the Animated Feature gag made viewers at home question whether Jimmy even liked movies and why he’d been given the gig in the first place. “I just don’t get who you think you’re helping by starting the ceremony off every year by being like ‘yeah movies sure do suck amirite’ lol” wrote one viewer on X/Twitter.

When he made Poor Things’ nomination be about nothing more than its sex scenes

When Jimmy debriefed after a montage celebrating Poor Things’ nomination for Best Picture he said: “Those were all the parts ofPoor Things that we’re allowed to show on TV,” in reference to the films extensive sex scenes, which are notable but not all the award-winning movie is about. To which, Emma Stone appeared to turn to her husband Dave McCary and say “what a prick”. And, honestly, fair.

When he alluded Bradley Cooper actually wants to date his mum

Bradley Cooper has long eschewed taking a date to awards ceremonies (tough break for Gigi Hadid) in favour of bringing along his mum Gloria Campano. Jimmy, despite numerous other actors also bringing their mums to the awards show – Ryan Gosling this year, Paul Mescal the last – took this to task and even claimed that after you’ve taken your mum as your “date” to a few events that basically means you’re “dating” your mum. Bradley looked more awkward than when he lost his 12th Oscar nomination to Cillian Murphy and that’s saying something.

When he joked about Robert Downey Jr addiction recovery… and his penis

Jimmy made a number of weird jokes about Robert Downey Jr last night, starting with a reference to his penis (is that acceptance speech in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me vibes) and ending with a long bit about his past drug addiction. “This is the highest point of Robert Downey Jr’s career… well, one of the highest points,” he said, tapping his nose.

In 1999, Robert served 12 months in prison after repeatedly missing court-ordered drug tests. But he has been admirably sober since July 2003. “I feel so bad for Robert Downey, Jr man,” one person pointed out on X/Twitter. “Dude is gonna win an Oscar and all the host can highlight is his past drug addiction. Must suck to hold that over someone’s head all the time.”

When he claimed a film about Auschwitz would be considered a ‘rom-com’ in Germany

And, lastly – and certainly least humorously – when Jimmy was addressing twice-nominated actress Sandra Hüller about her films Zone of Interest and Anatomy of a Fall (one about Auschwitz and the other about a murder) Jimmy told the camera: “While these [genocide and mariticide] are very heavy subjects for American moviegoers, in Sandra’s native Germany, they’re called rom-coms.”