biggest Oscar winners

Meryl Streep to Jack Nicholson: The elite club of actors who’ve won the most Oscars ever

And she should have one more for Mamma Mia

As the anticipation builds for the upcoming Academy Awards on Sunday, everyone’s gearing up to celebrate the best of the silver screen. Among the excitement surrounding the event, one aspect that continues to captivate audiences is the legacy of actors who have previously left a mark on the prestigious awards ceremony.

From Meryl Streep’s reign as the Queen of Hollywood to Walter Brennan’s iconic performances that have stood the test of time – grab your popcorn as we’re about to take a deep look into the exclusive club of esteemed actors who’ve managed to win three or more Oscars throughout their careers:

Katharine Hepburn – Four awards and 12 nominations

Best Actor Awards: Morning Glory (1933), Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967), The Lion in Winter (1968), On Golden Pond (1981)

Katharine Hepburn, with her four Academy Awards nestled among an impressive 12 nominations, remains a timeless luminary of Hollywood. She currently holds the title of having the most Best Actor wins at the Oscars. Her journey to stardom was as unconventional as it was remarkable, marked by her distinct voice, fierce independence, and talent. From her breakout role in Morning Glory to her performances in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, The Lion in Winter, and On Golden Pond, Hepburn captivated audiences with her iconic presence on the silver screen.

Beyond her on-screen success, Hepburn’s advocacy for women’s rights and refusal to conform to societal norms made her a trailblazer both in Hollywood and beyond. Her legacy continues to inspire generations of actors and feminists, serving as a reminder of the enduring power of cinema and the indomitable spirit of a true Hollywood legend.

Meryl Streep – Three awards and 21 nominations

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by The Academy (@theacademy)

Best Actor Awards: Sophie’s Choice (1982), The Iron Lady (2011)

Best Supporting Actor Awards: Kramer vs Kramer (1979)

Meryl Streep, another true powerhouse in Hollywood, has garnered an impressive 21 Academy Award nominations, winning the coveted golden statuette three times. From her moving portrayal of Sophie in Sophie’s Choice to her delightful performance as Donna in Mamma Mia!, Streep’s versatility shines through in every role. But who could forget her iconic turn as the formidable Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada?Streep’s portrayal redefined what it means to be a boss, showcasing her ability to command the screen with effortless grace.

Beyond her acting prowess, Streep’s unwavering dedication to social and political causes serves as an inspiration to many. In the ever-evolving world of Hollywood, Meryl Streep remains a symbol of cinema.

Jack Nicholson – Three awards and 12 nominations

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Cinema Monkeys™ (@cinemonkeys)

Best Actor Awards: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975), As Good as It Gets (1997)

Best Supporting Actor Awards: Terms of Endearment (1983)

Jack Nicholson, with his magnetic charisma and memorable performances, has earned three coveted Oscars. From his unforgettable role as R.P. McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest to the lovably flawed Melvin Udall in As Good as It Gets, Nicholson’s impact on cinema is undeniable. Just like his unforgettable turn as Jack Torrance in The Shining, Nicholson has a knack for leaving a lasting impression on audiences, making him a timeless icon in the world of film.

Ingrid Bergman – Three awards and seven nominations

View this post on Instagram

Total Awards: 3 (7 Nominations)

Best Actor Awards: Gaslight (1944), Anastasia (1956)

Ingrid Bergman, a Hollywood icon with three Academy Awards, enchanted audiences with her radiant presence and authentic performances. From her unforgettable role in Casablanca to her diverse portrayals across genres, Bergman’s talent left an impressive mark on film. Known for her grace on and off screen, she remains a beloved figure, inspiring generations with her performances.

Daniel Day-Lewis – Three awards and six nominations

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by 🥀 (@darknessoftheart)

Best Actor Awards: My Left Foot (1989), There Will Be Blood (2007), Lincoln (2012)

Daniel Day-Lewis is widely acclaimed for his unparalleled dedication to the art of acting. Renowned for his meticulous approach and unwavering commitment, he is a formidable presence at the Academy Awards. With three coveted Best Actor Oscars adorning his trophy shelf, Day-Lewis’s illustrious career is a testament to his talent and remarkable versatility. From his impressive portrayal of historical figures to his performances in contemporary dramas, each role he inhabits is brought to life with depth and authenticity. Day-Lewis’s enduring legacy in the annals of cinema is marked by his ability to transcend boundaries and captivate audiences across generations.

Frances McDormand – three awards and six nominations

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Jake (@moviebuff_93)

Best Actor Awards: Fargo (1996), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017), Nomadland (2020)

With three Academy Awards to her credit, McDormand’s talent and versatility have garnered widespread acclaim and admiration. From her portrayal of Marge Gunderson in Fargo to her commanding performance in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, McDormand’s ability to inhabit complex characters with depth and authenticity is skilled. Beyond her on-screen achievements, McDormand’s unapologetic authenticity and unwavering dedication to her craft serve as an inspiration to aspiring actors and fans alike. In an industry often driven by glamour and pretence, McDormand’s genuine approach and powerful presence have solidified her as a true icon.

Walter Brennan – Three awards and four nominations

Best Supporting Actor Awards: Come and Get It (1936), Kentucky (1938), The Westerner (1940)

Walter Brennan is celebrated for his three wins for Best Supporting Actor. Brennan’s legacy is not only defined by his accolades but also by the unforgettable characters he brought to life on the silver screen. From his early roles in classics like “Come and Get It” and “The Westerner,” to his later performances in iconic films such as “Sergeant York” and “To Have and Have Not,” Brennan’s presence elevated scenes. His ability to embody a wide range of characters, from lovable sidekicks to menacing villains, showcased his depth as an actor.

Related Stories Recommended by this Writer:

Everything the Critics Choice Awards 2024 winners list hints about this year’s Oscars 

This why Barbie is nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars

All Oscars 2023 Best Picture nominees, ranked by Rotten Tomatoes score 

Featured image credit via Picture Perfect/Shutterstock