Sofia Vergara embraced ‘ugly’ Griselda prosthetics so people would ‘forget Gloria Pritchett’

‘I didn’t want to look like Gloria Pritchett with a fake nose’

Sofia Vergara certainly looks very different from her Modern Family character Gloria Pritchett in her new Netflix series Griselda, thanks to the help of prosthetics.

And Sofia has revealed that she wanted to use the Griselda prosthetics so she wouldn’t look anything like Gloria, and people would see her for more than just her Modern Family character.

Via Netflix

Sofia told PEOPLE: “I had to change the way I walked [and] I talked. I didn’t want it to look like Gloria Pritchett with a fake nose. I wanted the people to forget about Gloria — that was the main thing.”

Director and executive producer Andrés Baiz explained: “Her physical transformation, that was one of the toughest aspects of the whole show.” Sofia added: “It was in Miami in the 70s and the 80s. Getting the look correct was very important to me. I needed to disappear.”

Via Netflix

But not everyone is happy with the way Sofia portrayed Griselda, with Griselda’s son calling her use of prosthetics “disrespectful” and “ugly.”

Michael Blanco said: “My mother was a beautiful woman… When you read my book, you’ll see that my mother was called the porcelain doll in her youth. Mayors, governors and even politicians in different countries would try to court my mother… even here in the United States. She was the creme de la creme.”

He went on to insist that his mother’s looks deteriorated because of her time in prison but that she was “a beautiful woman … the fact that they call her ‘ugly’ really offends me.”

Sofia Vergara had to undergo almost three hours of prosthetics to play the role of Griselda but her son feels they tried to make her look “more like a drug addict.”

Griselda is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.