sophie turner joe jonas lawsuit

It’s getting messy: Every bombshell detailed in Sophie Turner’s lawsuit against Joe Jonas

Sophie allegedly found out about the divorce through the media

Right, just when we thought we were through to the other side, things have just got really, really messy again with the divorce of Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner as now there’s a lawsuit involved.

Sophie is now suing the Camp Rock star in order to bring their two children to the UK. Court papers filed today in Manhattan outline how she wishes to be allowed to bring the estranged couple’s daughters, aged three and one, to their “forever home” in England.

However, there are also loads more allegations made in the lawsuit about just exactly how their divorce went down and even how Sophie herself found out about it.

Here’s every bombshell detailed in the lawsuit Sophie Turner has filed against Joe Jonas:

Joe Jonas filed for divorce earlier this month after four years of marriage. The pair met back in 2016 when mutual friends encouraged them to connect through Instagram.

Before the official announcement, rumours began to circulate online of Sophie partying too hard and Joe spotting something suspicious on their home security Ring camera system. Now the lawsuit alleges that it was this very online gossip was the reason Sophie found out about her own divorce, stating that the actress heard the news “from the media”.

In 2020, Sophie gave birth to the couple’s first daughter Willa and two years later their second daughter, who has never been named publicly and is referred to only as DMJ in the lawsuit, was born.

Sophie cites in the lawsuit the International Child Abduction Remedies Act and states that their children are being “wrongfully retained” in New York City beginning yesterday, Wednesday 20th September.

The lawsuit outlines how in April 2023, Joe and Sophie made England their permanent home and that prior to this they had not “committed to setting down roots in any particular place” as they lived a “very peripatetic lifestyle”.

The documents allege that despite Sophie and Joe both agreeing on England being their “forever home”, Sophie allowed their daughters to travel with Joe on the Jonas Brother tours as a “temporary arrangement” whilst she filmed the TV series Joan in the UK. Sophie would return to New York to pick up the children once filming was over.

However, the lawsuit further claims that Joe is currently withholding the children’s passports so that they cannot return to England with their mother.

If Joe Jonas’ PR moves post-divorce are anything to go by, we should expect to hear from his team soon. Updates will be made to this story when we have them.

A representative for Joe Jonas told The Tab: “After multiple conversations with Sophie, Joe initiated divorce proceedings in Florida, as Florida is the appropriate jurisdiction for the case. Sophie was aware that Joe was going to file for divorce. The Florida Court has already entered an order that restricts both parents from relocating the children. Sophie was served with this order on September 6th 2023, more than two weeks ago.

“Joe and Sophie had a cordial meeting this past Sunday in New York, when Sophie came to New York to be with the kids. They have been with her since that meeting. Joe’s impression of the meeting was that they had reached an understanding that they would work together towards an amicable co-parenting setup.

“Less than 24 hours later, Sophie advised that she wanted to take the children permanently to the UK. Thereafter, she demanded via this filing that Joe hand over the children’s passports so that she could take them out of the country immediately. If he complies, Joe will be in violation of the Florida Court order.

“Joe is seeking shared parenting with the kids so that they are raised by both their mother and father, and is of course also okay with the kids being raised both in the U.S. and the UK. The children were born in the U.S. and have spent the vast majority of their lives in the U.S. They are American citizens.

“This is an unfortunate legal disagreement about a marriage that is sadly ending. When language like “abduction” is used, it is misleading at best, and a serious abuse of the legal system at worst. The children were not abducted. After being in Joe’s care for the past three months at the agreement of both parties, the children are currently with their mother. Sophie is making this claim only to move the divorce proceedings to the UK and to remove the children from the U.S. permanently.

“Joe has already disavowed any and all statements purportedly made on his behalf that were disparaging of Sophie. They were made without his approval and are not consistent with his views. His wish is that Sophie reconsider her harsh legal position and move forward in a more constructive and private manner. His only concern is the well-being of his children.”

For all the latest celebrity and entertainment news and gossip, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook

Sophie Turner is suing Joe Jonas to bring their two children ‘home’ to the UK

• A full rundown of the Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner divorce drama, because I need a minute

• Two weeks on: Everything Sophie Turner has been up to since divorcing Joe Jonas

Featured image via Gregory Pace/Shutterstock.