A timeline of every single job Maya Jama had before becoming the host of Love Island

The grind never stops!!

Maya Jama is the new face of Love Island as she took over from Laura Whitmore as the host of the reality dating series. Maya Jama came onto the scene way back in 2014 and has constantly made the biggest career moves and has been a constant figure on our TV screens. From radio gigs to TV presenting alongside the most famous names in the sporting world, Maya Jama has truly done it all and continues to go from strength to strength. Now she is the host of Love Island 2023, let’s take a look back at Maya Jama’s career over the last nine years.

Her first big gig was being the co-host of Jump Off TV – 2014

When Maya Jama was 18, she landed a hosting role on Jump Off TV. Jump Off TV Is a YouTube channel that showcases various rap battles and Maya worked alongside Chanelle Bennett, hosting these events and giving recaps on the YouTube channel.

She presented the series ‘FIFA World Cup Cities’ for Copa90 – 2014

In the summer of 2014, shed hosted Maya’s FIFA World Cup Cities for Copa90, which was a travel vlog series where she covered the world cup in Brazil. She also co-hosted the series called World Cup Taxi which was dedicated to the Brazil World Cup. Maya would travel around Brazil talking to football fans in partnership with Hyundai.

She then joined MTV’s The Wrap Up – 2014

In August 2014, Maya Jama joined MTV’s The Wrap Up, which was “MTV UK’s urban destination”. It was through The Wrap Up where Maya Jama met Stormzy. In 2015, Maya shared a video on her Twitter which was titled: “Maya Jama, The Wrap Up Meets Stormzy”.

She hosted ‘Drive With Maya’ on Rinse FM – 2014-2017

For three years, Maya hosted her own drivetime radio show called Drive With May on Rinse FM. Her show would air from 4pm until 7pm during the week and would air on Rinse FM. She started this in 2014 before leaving in 2017. Maya had guests such as Stormzy, Kurupt FM and Alesha Dixon on her show.

She started working with the Brits and was the red carpet host – 2017

2017 could be argued as to when Maya Jama got her big break. In February of 2017, Maya worked closely with the Brit Awards and even hosted a live stream on Facebook from the red carpet. She also hosted the Brit Awards’ Pre-Brit Awards Party.

She co-presented the ITV game show Cannonball with Andrew Flintoff – 2017

In September 2017, Maya co-presented the ITV game show Cannonball with Andrew Flintoff, Frankie Bridge, Ryan Hand and Radzi Chinyanganya. Cannonball saw 24 contestants face challenges in a custom-built waterpark in Malta. However, the series didn’t do too well as viewers were not the biggest fans of the “ambitious” game show.

She was a guest panelist on Loose Women twice – 2017 and 2018

Maya Jama was a guest panelist on Loose Women in 2017 and apparently TV bosses were “keen” to add her as a permanent panelist. According to The Sun: “Everyone loved Maya and Loose Women bosses are seriously considering making her a full time panellist.” During her time on the show, Maya opened up about her father being in prison and attending a sex party for a documentary she was working on.

Maya returned as a guest panelist in 2018, but she never returned full time.

She was the youngest ever person to co-host the MOBO Awards – 2017

In November 2017, Maya became the youngest ever person to co-host the MOBO Awards on Channel 5. At just 23 years old, Maya co-hosted the event alongside JLS star Marvin Humes. When the news was announced, Maya said: “I could not be more thrilled to announce that I will be hosting this year’s MOBO Awards in Leeds. It’s an honour to be included as they celebrate their 22nd year – it’s going to be massive.”

She co-hosted Channel 4’s The Circle with Alice Levine – 2018

In September 2018, Maya co-presented the first series of The Circle on Channel 4 alongside Alice Levine. However, it was only for one season as Emma Willis then took over in season two.

Maya then became co-presenter with Scott Mills on BBC Radio 1 – 2018

In 2018, Maya joined BBC Radio 1 and would co-present every Friday with Scott Mills and Chris Stark from 1pm to 4pm. She also had her own show from 2018 to 2020 hosting Radio 1’s Greatest Hits as well as her own show on Fridays and Saturdays.

She launched her own clothing range with PrettyLittleThing – 2018 and 2019

Maya Jama has dabbled in the fashion industry as well as TV and radio. In 2018, and again in 2019, Maya launched her own clothing collection with PrettyLittleThing.

While everyone was in lockdown, she helped the nation and co-presented Peter Crouch: Save Our Summer – 2020

After leaving BBC Radio 1, Maya Jama presented the BBC One programmed, Peter Crouch: Save Our Summer. The TV series was a comedy panel game with the aime to give the public “a little bit of all the big summer events that have been taken away,” during the Covid-19 pandemic.

She launched her own skincare range called MIJ Masks – 2020

In 2020, Maya launched her skincare range called MIJ Masks. Her face masks are made “for every face and any moment”. The brand “celebrates the play in skincare, regardless of age or gender.” The skincare range includes face masks and eye masks for any occasion.

She took over as the host of Glow Up: Britain’s Next Make-Up Star – 2021

In 2021, Maya Jama took over from Stacey Dooley as the host of BBC Three’s Glow Up. The series aimed to find the next big make up star in Britain. Maya Jama has presented the last three seasons of the series.

Maya Jama is now the new host of ITV2’s Love Island – 2023

As they say, the rest is history! Maya Jama is now currently the new host of Love Island 2023 in the show’s second winter version in South Africa.

Love Island 2023 continues at 9pm on ITV2 and ITVX. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.