Revealed: Reese Witherspoon’s son being in Never Have I Ever was in fact…nepotism

He got the role in the show simply because Reese asked for him to 😬

When we first saw that the son of Hollywood mega-star Reese Witherspoon was going to be in Never Have I Ever, a lot of us were probably quite excited. Good for him, he’s following in his mother’s footsteps and getting his foot in the door in the world of acting. But, surprise surprise! Him getting the role was simply nepotism rearing its ugly head, once again.

Yep, Deacon Phillippe, the son of Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe, got the role in the show because of who his mum is. I’m disappointed, but not at all surprised. Deacon plays Parker, one of Des’ mates, in the show – and this is his first on-screen role. He got his big break into acting because… Reese Witherspoon asked for it. I mean, who says no to that?

Reese told Mindy Kaling, the creator of the show, he was interested in acting and the rest is history. Speaking to Variety on the red carpet at the premiere of Never Have I Ever season three, Mindy revealed Deacon was cast in the show after Reese, who she is good friends with, told her he had an interest in acting.

Deacon Phillippe the son of Reese Witherspoon in Never Have I Ever on Netflix

via Netflix

“We were breaking the season and there was this role that seemed like it would be perfect for Deacon,” Mindy said. “He’s obviously so talented and he’s great-looking, and we just thought he would be great and he was excited to come and do it. He’s just such a well-raised kid. He’s so talented, he’s so funny and fit in perfectly with the cast. The cast and the crew loved him and it was special to have him. He’s such a humble kid and he just wants to learn. And he’s been raised by two very successful actors. He’s not wary or anything. He just came in with this open mind and was excited.”

The show’s co-creator, Lang Fisher, added: “He was great, and we were like ‘Come aboard!’ This is the first thing he has ever done, but he was such a professional. He was just raised like a wonderful young man. He came to set really prepared and he did a great job.”

In a share of the interview on Twitter, it has sparked a conversation about how Deacon’s role in Never Have I Ever is a prime example of nepotism, and people are questioning if he’d have got the role if he auditioned, and wasn’t just the son of Reese Witherspoon.

“Nepotism at its finest,” one person said. “Man it’s gotta be awesome having everything handed to you,” another commented. One more comment added: “Why couldn’t I be a nepotism baby?” and honestly, same.

Never Have I Ever season three is now available on Netflix. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.