love island 2022 refuge

‘Abusive behaviour is not entertainment’: Refuge responds to the Love Island 2022 final

ITV will be reviewing the show in light of complaints

Domestic abuse charity Refuge has released a statement responding to the end of Love Island 2022.

This year’s series has seen some toxic behaviour from the men, including potential lovebombing, baseless accusations and female bullying. Two weeks ago, Refuge and Women’s Aid announced they were in talks with ITV to review the show and its inclusion training.

Now the series is over, Refuge has come out with a final statement about its feelings on Love Island going forward.

love island refuge

Photo via ITV2

“The impact of controlling and misogynistic behaviour being broadcast as entertainment on this series of Love Island does not end when the series ends,” a spokesperson wrote on Twitter.

“Abusive behaviour is not entertainment and must not be normalised… As the UK’s leading domestic abuse specialist, Refuge remains concerned about the controlling and misogynistic behaviour that has been broadcast during some episodes of this year’s Love Island.

“The impact of this being broadcast as entertainment does not end when the series ends. The contestants now have to return to regular life where they will be confronted with the public’s reactions to the show and the behaviours we have seen.”

davide

Photo via ITV2

They continued: “There remains the very real risk that the behaviours broadcast could be normalised. Refuge is pleased that ITV are now reviewing the show in light of the number of Ofcom complaints, but we are disappointed that they did not take the opportunity to address these behaviours head on during the series – even when their viewers, the media & former contestants spoke up.

“Our message this evening is that if you feel unsafe or have questions about your partners behaviour you can call Refuge’s National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247 for free, confidential support 24/7.”

If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse in a relationship, call the Freephone 24/7 National Domestic Violence Helpline, run by Women’s Aid in partnership with Refuge, on 0808 2000 247 or visit www.womensaid.org.uk.

For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.