flight attendant tiktok

A flight attendant on TikTok has revealed why they actually greet you at the plane door

It makes so much sense

A flight attendant on TikTok has explained why they greet you at the door of the plane and look you up and down. And no it’s not because they’re judging your outfit.

Kat Kamalani is a flight attendant who uses her TikTok to give insight into the lives of flight attendants and the secrets of the job. She’s created viral videos that detail what you shouldn’t eat on board and the secret spots of a plane.

Her most recent TikTok has had over two million views, as people are desperate to know the reason why flight attendants look you up and down.

@katkamalaniYou would never guess the last part… ##secretsrevealed ##traveler ##momsontiktok ##flightcrew ##travelhacks♬ SUNNY DAY – Matteo Rossanese

Kat asked her followers if they had ever thought about the logic behind it and said there are two main reasons why they greet you at the door.

She said the first is because they’re identifying their “A.B.P”s aka able bodied people who are the ones who could help in an emergency such as doctors, nurses, military people or police officers.

Kat said: “So when you’re walking on the airplane and you see our happy smiling face, we’re actually looking you up and down and we are trying to find our ABPs.”

Kat goes onto explain they try and identify these individuals as the guests come in so they know who is there to help them out should there be a security breach, emergency landing or medical emergency.

According to Kat the second biggest reason they do their scanning is to look out for signs of human trafficking

She said it’s a thing that “happens a lot in the industry” and passenger safety is their number one priority.

She said: “Our passengers’ safety is our number one priority, so we’re just looking for things that look off.”

The video has quickly received millions of views and many comments, including people asking how the flight attendants know people are medical staff.

Kat answered one commenter and said doctors will often identify themselves when boarding and saying which seat they’re in. Which is pretty helpful.

Featured image credit before edits: Suhyeon Choi on Unsplash