What is the song in Netflix’s If Anything Happens I Love You?

People on TikTok are calling it the saddest film they’ve ever seen

Netflix has recently released a 12 minute animation called If Anything Happens I Love You which has quickly shot up to number seven in their top 10 list. If Anything Happens I Love You is all over Twitter and TikTok partly because people are calling it the saddest film of the year and partly because everyone’s wondering what the song that plays in the film is called.

The short film is about two grieving parents processing the death of their child. It’s in black and white and has no talking. The only few sounds we here are soft piano music throughout and a song that plays from the child’s record player in her room. This song also marks the moment the film starts to tell the story of how the child dies. Here’s what the song is called and who it’s by:

What’s the name of the song in If Anything Happens I Love You?

The song is called 1950 and it’s by King Princess. It was released in 2018 and was the debut single of the singer-songwriter Mikaela Mullaney Straus. The song itself, without the sad animation alongside it, is already pretty emotional. She seems to be singing about unrequited love which she’ll “wait” and “pray” for.

King Princess is signed to Mark Ronson’s label Zelig Records. She rose to fame in 2018 with her singles 1950 and Talia, before her debut album Cheap Queen was released in 2019.

The other two songs in the film are Beautiful Dreamer performed by the Inner City Youth Orchestra of Los Angeles and What Did I Ask For by MARKS.

If Anything Happens I Love You was written and directed by Will McCormack who also co-wrote Toy Story 4, and Michael Govier. It was animated by Youngran Nho.

You can watch If Anything Happens I Love You on Netflix now. 

Related stories recommended by the writer:

If Anything Happens I Love You: What’s the Netflix animation everyone’s talking about?

Is Netflix animation If Anything Happens I Love You based on a true story?

•  These are officially the Netflix series which are most likely to make you cry