Is Netflix animation If Anything Happens I Love You based on a true story?

Everyone is talking about the 12-minute film

Netflix has released a new, 12-minute heartbreaking short animation called If Anything Happens I Love You – which is so sad, a lot of people are questioning if it is based on a true story.

The film has no dialogue, and the story follows two grieving parents as they struggle after losing their daughter in a school shooting. It contains flashbacks to the girl growing up, before we find out what happened to her and the tragic affects it has had on her parents. The Netflix synopsis reads: “In the wake of a school shooting, memories mean everything to the loving parents left behind by a tragic loss. ”

So is If Anything Happens I Love You based on a true story? Here are all the answers.

If Anything Happens I Love You, true story, school shooting, real, life, events, true, Netflix, animation, film, movie

via Netflix

Is If Anything Happens I Love You based on a true story?

The film is not completely based on a true story, however it is inspired by real life events. The story mirrors that of the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida in 2018. Students were known to have texted their parents and loved ones whilst the tragedy was unfolding.

via Netflix

On February 14th in 2018, a gunman opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle at the school, killing 17 people and injuring 17 others.

According to IMDb, the Netflix animation film was made to stress the need of proper gun safety and the effects that guns can have on people’s lives. At a private screening of the movie, the creators were joined by survivors and family members affected by gun violence. Producer Laura Dern said the “deep and primary focus” of the movie is to spread awareness and keep people talking about topics such as school shootings and gun violence so that more will be done by those in power.

If Anything Happens I Love You is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.