Applications for The Tab’s Summer Internship programme are now open

They close on Friday 24th April

Applications for The Tab’s Summer Internship programme are now open and we want the best Tab writers to work alongside us at HQ.

This year we are offering one-week remote placements, which will involve you in every aspect of our editorial output, from breaking big stories, writing the hottest trash TV takes, to managing social media.

Summer internships are given to our best rising stars and those who have been committed and regularly written for The Tab.

Due to ongoing lockdown, internships will be taking place remotely. This is the first time we have ever done this, but given the circumstances we still wanted to offer some kind of internship scheme. Dates will run 4th May until 4th September, Monday-Friday.

What will you be doing?

Every morning between 9am and 9:45am, the team trawls the internet for new stories, and at 9:45 we have our pitching meeting, where we discuss what we’ll be writing that day. The ideal candidate is someone comfortable finding original ideas for stories and confidently pitching them.

As an intern, you’ll become a member of the editorial team, and you’ll have the opportunity to write and publish multiple stories every day. The content on our site is varied, and you should be ready to write stories like these ones produced by interns last year:

‘Posh and pretty people worked at the front’: What it’s like working at Wimbledon

All the evidence this year’s Love Island is staged

What actually happens if you don’t buy a TV licence, and how to legally avoid doing so

We worked out the top 10 most expensive universities to graduate from

Order a Greggs and we’ll tell you how middle class you are

Somebody from HQ will be in regular phone contact to give you help and advice, so you’ll be brought into the team as much as is possible in these weird times. It’s a great experience to put on your CV and will teach you loads of skills if you want a job in the media.

Should lockdown rules be relaxed we will consider inviting interns to come and work in the London office, but as it stands please assume the placement will be remote.

How to apply

If you are interested in applying for an internship at The Tab, please email [email protected] with answers to the following:

• Come up with three story ideas that you think would work well on our site

1) An experience feature that you could do in isolation

2) A news story

3) A fun feature

• Send links to three Tab stories you’ve written that you’re the most proud of and in a sentence tell us why.

• Think of a follow-up to a news story recently broken by The Tab, such as the group of Derby policing students suspended for making offensive jokes in a group chat, the SU president who was pictured dressed as a Holocaust victim, and the Cardiff international student who was evicted from his halls at 4am.

• Tell us, in 100 words, what you as an intern would bring to The Tab.

Please tell us your name and which university Tab you write for in the subject line, and dates available. Applications close Friday 24th April.

We will take into consideration everyone who sends in an application, but due to demand we can’t take on everyone. Priority will be given to those who haven’t done work experience with us before. Internships will take place remotely.