Cardiff Uni student evicted from accommodation during lockdown

Security entered his room at 4AM

An international student studying at Cardiff University has been evicted from Eclipse, a private accommodation provider on Newport Road, during the early hours of Wednesday morning.

The student claims security entered the room just before 4:00 AM on the 17th April, saying he had five minutes to pack his bags and leave. Unable to do so, the student was forced onto the street without most of his belongings and remained there for several hours whilst being watched by the security guard.

The student, who is from China, had rented the room from another student online, and was unaware of the accommodation’s rules on subletting.

He told The Tab:  “I can never forget this memory. I was stuck alone in a dangerous situation. I do not know many people in Cardiff. I did not know what to do”.

On their website, Eclipse boasts the “ultimate living experience”, with a “friendly and contemporary vibe”. The price for a room starts at £139 a week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvZRER9A01t/

In reference to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, the government website states that “no renter in either social or private accommodation will be forced out of their home during this difficult time”. It is unclear, however, whether this applies to situations in which the contract has been broken.

The Cardiff Uni intranet advises that those left with nowhere to live should contact the residences office in order to  find alternative accommodation.

Collegiate AC, who manage Eclipse, have said they are “investigating this internally”.

They told The Cardiff Tab: “Thank you so much for providing this information. We are investigating this internally and will get back to you soon.

“Our tenants’ welfare is always our upmost priority, especially during the current times, so we are ensuring we fully understand the situation.”