Houseparty says there’s ‘no evidence’ to suggest the app is to blame for data leaks

They’ve said users should pick strong passwords

Video chat app Houseparty has denied that the app compromises data from unrelated accounts including users’ bank details and personal data, despite rampant speculation on Twitter.

Many have said they deleted the app after claiming it was linked to suspected leaks of their data, with some blaming erroneous bank transactions on the app.

However, in an email to The Tab, a spokesperson for the company said there was “no evidence” to suggest the app was linked to the compromises of other accounts.

The company has denied the app has compromised users’ data

Houseparty has skyrocketed in popularity in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic as the go-to way for young people to hang out with mates.

Eilidh, and Aberdeen student who deleted the app after seeing speculation, told The Tab: “I was gonna do it anyway cause the notifications were annoying me and I haven’t really used it. Then all the speculation happened so figured probably best to get rid.”

Lily, from Leeds, said she got rid of the app after realising her passwords were “super easy to hack.”

“Every single one of my passwords is the same but with a different number at the end,” she told The Tab. “The last thing I need in the middle of trying to complete a degree online with no access to a library or my professors and not going stark raving crazy, is to have my money stolen – money which I have been saving for my first pint out of lockdown in October.”

Yes, but is Houseparty actually leaking data from my phone?

According to the company, it’s not. A spokesperson told The Tab: “We’ve found no evidence to suggest a link between Houseparty and the compromises of other unrelated accounts.

“As a general rule, we suggest all users choose strong passwords when creating online accounts on any platform.”

They continued: “Use a unique password for each account, and use a password generator or password manager to keep track of passwords, rather than using passwords that are short and simple.”

The company has also put a statement on Twitter saying: “All Houseparty accounts are safe – the service is secure, has never been compromised, and doesn’t collect passwords for other sites.”