Brawl breaks out after Extinction Rebellion protester is dragged off train roof

Commuters pulled XR activists off trains and attacked them

Hide Images

Extinction Rebellion protests are taking place across London’s tube lines today and protesters have been attacked and pulled off trains.

Activists at Canning Town station have been dragged off the top of trains and attacked on the platforms as they carry out their climate strike action.

A video shows two XR protesters standing on top of a train before being dragged down and attacked onto the floor. People gather around trying to help the man and a member of train staff tries to disperse the huge crowds.

XR protesters were also filmed holding up a banner that says “business as usual death” as awaiting passengers shouted up at them from the platforms. The commuters asked the protesters to get down so services could resume, but when they refused commuters began to throw things at them and attempted to get them down themselves.

A message on the Extinction Rebellion website about today’s action reads: “From 7-21 October, XR are hosting a peaceful rebellion against the UK government for its inaction on climate breakdown and biodiversity loss.  If the Government fails to meet its members to discuss their Three Demands, XR and its various affiliated groups will build pressure through disruption.

“On 17 October, several XR affinity groups (autonomous civil disobedience groups) are planning to nonviolently disrupt Tube services to highlight the Climate and Ecological Emergency. We sincerely apologise to all those who may be affected  as a consequence of this disruption. In any other circumstances these groups would never dream of disrupting the Tube but this is an emergency.”

So far today there has been disruption on the Jubilee Line and the DLR.

Extinction Rebellion protester dragged of the roof of a train

Last night, police urged Extinction Rebellion activists not to target the London Underground as part of its protests demanding action on climate change.

British Transport Police said they had engaged with XR members to try and prevent the “disruptive and potentially criminal” action on the transport network.

Assistant Chief Constable Sean O’Callaghan said the British Transport Police is working with partners to keep disruptions to a minimum. He said: “We are really disappointed that they have since announced fresh action on the London Underground network.

“The Tube and rail networks are one of the greenest transport methods in London, any action goes against what they campaign for and will only cause misery for London’s commuters.”

London’s Mayor, Sadiq Khan has condemned the Extinction Rebellion protests taking place today. He posted on Twitter a statement which read: “I strongly condemn the Extinction Rebellion protesters who have targeted the London Underground and DLR this morning.

“This illegal action is extremely dangerous, counterproductive and is causing unacceptable disruption to London who use public transport to get to work. It is also an unfair burden on our already overstretched police officers.

“I urge demonstrators to protest peacefully and within the boundaries of the law.”