As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs

Would you donate your eggs to a woman who has trouble conceiving? Despite misgivings, REANNE MACKENZIE thinks not.

As a twenty-year old, the last thing I want right now is a baby.

I’m terrified of getting pregnant. However, sometimes I do find myself getting broody: seeing babies makes me happy.  I love watching One Born Every Minute and bawling my eyes out at the euphoric moment when the baby finally arrives. I know that I want children, and glibly assume that I will be able to have them.

But what if I can’t? What if I start trying for a baby and I find out my eggs are no good, that I’m infertile? I don’t know what I would do. So, I have immense sympathy for infertile couples that rely on egg donations to help them conceive. That said, (and I know this is hypocritical) I probably wouldn’t donate my own eggs; at least not at this age.

The company Altrui who run a “truly personal egg donation service” have recently been leafleting in some colleges’ pigeon holes. There’s something about this that I find vaguely sinister. I looked up their website, and for all its talk of helping women, and believing in “integrity, honesty, determination and kindness,” it struck me as a bit of a sales pitch. It could have been a site offering bespoke holidays, the way it promised an egg donation “exclusively for you”.

Egg donation – too early to even consider?

As a student, I can see the advantages of egg donating: it may be voluntary, but there is compensation worth up to £750 (as of April this year), meaning that you could probably make some decent money out of it. However, egg donating shouldn’t be about any financial incentive, which is why I’m sceptical about the company targeting students.

Here at Cambridge, there’s enough to worry about without the thought that my offspring is gallivanting around somewhere. Because, let’s be honest, it would be my offspring. The website uses quite a nice analogy of eggs as seeds: they may be a biological imprint of the flower, but it is only with a certain gardener and certain conditions that they will bloom into a flower. It’s a pleasant enough metaphor, but I don’t buy it: the child will have your genes, and no matter how much you privilege nurture over nature, you cannot escape the fact that if you’re a bluebell, your seed isn’t going to suddenly grow into a poppy.

There are a whole range of moral dilemmas and potential problems: what if you could pay a premium for the eggs of someone beautiful? What if the baby is born with a defect? Will they blame the egg donor? Will they love the baby just the same? Will they want to give him/her back?  What if the baby is conceived with both an egg donor and a sperm donor? Technically that child will then have four parents!

I’m not sure twenty-something students are ready to deal with these ramifications. I know I certainly wouldn’t be.

• Flawed Analogies

They would be your kids & a bluebell wouldn't be a poppy? Well… not really. Environmental factors play a much larger role than most think and really it's quite artificial to suggest that being from Cambridge will guarantee your offspring will be brighter (because let's face it, that's why they advertise here and not….elsewhere…). The reality is that the offspring would probably be of above average intelligence, but mostly because they would be given a good, relatively wealthy, environment which would be very focused on that child. If your 'child' was brought up in the ghetto with a family which has no care for children and they had to go to the worst comprehensive in the country then its less likely they would be like you.

tl;dr: No, not quite, though a poppy will not grow up to be a bluebell its a flawed analogy, its more like how timber can be crafted into a table, a desk or anything else, it is still timber but it can be hugely different depending on the crafting.

• bluebells&poppie

Speaking of flawed analogies…

• Flawed Analogies

Read the article before downrating.

"but I don’t buy it: the child will have your genes, and no matter how much you privilege nurture over nature, you cannot escape the fact that if you’re a bluebell, your seed isn’t going to suddenly grow into a poppy."

I was using her example and noting that it was a flawed analogy.

• Bugger

I meant to thumb you down but accidentally clicked the wrong one.

Take 2 off your score, and take a bonus off for not bothering to read the article.

• Bounder

i don't want a baby either
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S80SvZBmzOY

• IWantHealthyBabies

Women's ovaries seem to have a way of using the 'best' eggs first: the increase in genetic defects isn't due to age-related degeneration, it's due to the faulty ones being used last…
    I'd be interested to see what the effects of egg donation early in life are on the pattern of chromosomal abnormalities e.g. Down's syndrome in later life.
    Until I know this, I'm afraid I wouldn't donate until after I'd had all the kids I ever intended to have myself.

• Umm, like, do you

know anything about biology? The eggs are gonna keep popping out at a rate of one a month anyway, whether there's a tweezer-armed capitalist there to catch it or not. So if your ovary selection theory is true, your healthiest potential children would have gone when you were about 14 – bad luck.

But with an argument that flawed, I'm not sure they ever had a great chance anyway.

• FSH

I sure do like to promote them follicles to mature and with enough exogenous application, cause a rate of much more than 1 a month to be produced!

Also, it's not always one a month, even naturally, and it'd be pretty retarded to go through some 3 or 4 month process in order to get… 1 egg.

Might want to check your facts before looking like a bit of a tool.

• Hook line and sinker
    • Borefest

Yes and the Tab helped them do the dirty work, most probably with a nice little wad of cash for the effort. Honestly sick of them fucking over students and lying just to get in the national press. A bit of integrity wouldn't go amiss.

• thisisembarrassing

no matter how much you privilege nurture over nature, you cannot escape the fact that if you’re a bluebell, your seed isn’t going to suddenly grow into a poppy.

• Riddikulus

"Would they love the baby just the same? Would they want to give it back?"

Really?

• Surreal Dean Martin

How do you like your eggs in the morning?

£750.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: CUSU passes motion for NUS referendum

FINALLY we have an answer.

How to attend a supervision without doing any of the work

Hungover? Tired? Just plain lazy? We got you.

Caesarian Sunday-ers of the week

Like Clubbers of the week, but messier. Oh so messier.

Why I’ll never, ever get married

If you like it, then please don’t put a ring on it

, Assistant Editor

Things you learn when you’re in the minority that doesn’t get festivals

‘Mate can I borrow your roll mat?’

, Editor, The Tab Manchester

These are the things that made me realise I had depression

Was I depressed or just being a bitch?

, Chief Reporter

Remembering American Adventure, the closest we got to the USA in the Midlands

Horses, guns and rollercoasters. What more could you want?

, Head of Marketing

I’d rather hang out with my parents than go clubbing

Most of my friends would, too