Rudimental Presents: Funkystepz

JOHN BARDSLEY struggles to explain how good this student clubnight was.

Fez Club, Sunday 6th May, £3 before 11pm

Organising a great club night doesn’t need to be difficult. Just take some of the best DJs Cambridge has to offer, throw in a big name headliner and make sure the drinks are cheap. It seems amazing then that Rudimental is one of the few nightlife collectives in Cambridge that gets how to pull this off.

That’s not to say it was simple though. Fantastic visuals, sharp mixing and the two MCs, Campus Vybz and Mumblz kept the energy pulsing through the dancefloor. You wouldn’t have thought this was Cambridge. It was more like an East London warehouse party.

Whilst the moronic masses were sweating away their souls in Life or Cindies, a great group of people that actually wanted to go clubbing were having the time of their lives. Even those that were sceptical about going to a night about bass music were on the dancefloor getting low and demanding rewinds from the DJ- it’s not only ‘hipsters’ that can enjoy alternative music.  Nor did the atmosphere feel pretentious- it was really inclusive for both the bass music aficionado and people looking to try something new.

The student DJs were tearing it up: Cryptix, Aliboo, Napper, Lumi and Datwan showing that they can easily match the pros. It would be pretty pointless naming loads of tunes; everything that dropped seemed to be an absolute monster. Joy Orbison’s Froth and the jungle classic Original Nuttah had a pretty special place in my heart though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIpca97Af-A

There was never really any doubt that Funkystepz would deliver a quality set. Labels like Hyperdub only sign then best. He played a devastating mix of tunes that made the dancefloor explode. Eyebrows were raised when We Found Love came on. They were soon back in position when people realised it was the Funkystepz remix- one of the best surprises of the night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dePfex5vx5M

This event surpassed all my expectations- it was definitely the best student night I’ve experienced in Cambridge. If the enthusiasm and talent of the students behind it is anything to go by, Rudimental will be a major force in the Cambridge nightlife scene for a good few years to come.

• Ooohh

East London warehouse party?… LOOVEE MY LIFE AS A DICKHEEEADDDD!

• OiOiOiOi

John, have you ever been to a warehouse party? They happen in warehouses, not in Fez.

• NOiOiOiOi

When he uses the term 'more like' he is establishing the function of this particular unit of language as a simile. A simile is when you compare one thing to another, suggesting similarity but not sameness. But still, I admire your levels of perception in both observing and understanding that warehouse parties, by their very nature, occur in warehouses.

Illuminating and accomplished,
        Thank you good sir.

• He speaks the truth

gargantuan night

• phuqwhatyouheard

like this funkystepz mix

• Sam

I can't believe I didn't go to this, fuck

• RUDIMENTAL

WATCH OUT FOR THE NEXT RUDIMENTAL – MAY WEEK ALL-NIGHTER – 21//06//12

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Do we really hate each other?

Are the haters really gonna hate hate hate?

The Cambridge Easter Term Bucket List

Finding the fun in the joyless.

REVIEW: The Winter’s Tale

Shakespeare returns to the ADC in fine style.

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain

, Soton Opinion Editor of The Tab

Stop saying Kent is ‘racist’

There is something more complicated at play

, Assistant Editor

The Midlands is a place, don’t tell me I live in the North (or South)

Ever heard of Stratford-upon-Avon?

, Durham Editor

I went on the pill to treat my acne and it almost killed me

Madison will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of her life

, Assistant Editor

Stop saying you’ll give up things you have no interest in quitting

‘This is the last time I’m drinking, ever’