We went charity shopping in York and sussed out the best places so you don’t have to

Sustainability is sexy x

University can be an expensive experience, especially in York. So why not save some money on gear for socials or reading material whilst shopping sustainably and supporting amazing causes? We went on the hunt for the best city centre charity shops and picked some favourites.

Mind, Goodramgate 

This spot supporting the mental health charity Mind has a range of seasonal Halloween goods and accessories. Whilst the majority of the clothing may not catch the eye of the average uni student (some of the clothes look stuck in the 2010s), we did manage to find some hidden gems in the form of Adidas trainers and Levi’s jeans. The key to this spot is keeping your eyes peeled and not giving up hope of finding some absolute steals.

Sue Ryder, Goodramgate

The downstairs of this shop is pretty standard (minus the incredibly cute craft corner) but the real attraction is upstairs. This branch offers an extraordinary vintage section with everything from 1970s shirts to fur coats with some erm… interesting fashion choices scattered between. The reasonably priced goods could be perfect last minute solutions to Wednesday night sports social costumes without breaking the bank.

Oxfam, Goodramgate

By now you are probably noticing a pattern, the majority of our top picks are on Goodramgate just behind the Minster (how convenient) and our next pick is no different. I am personally a sucker for an Oxfam, with a range of books, clothes, films, and gifts – what’s not to love? Oxfam differs from most charity shops by offering a range of ethical and vegan toiletries such as Faith in Nature shampoo and Cheeky Panda tissues. As well as this, you can grab fair trade coffee and chocolates which are the perfect stocking fillers this Christmas. Who said charity shops only sold second hand?

Oxfam Books

As an English Literature student, this one had to make the list. Oxfam Books is the holy grail of charity bookshops. Located on Low Petergate, this branch of the humanitarian charity is a book lovers dream. With everything from comics to Renaissance poetry, this spot proves that there’s a book for everyone out there. Oxfam Books are usually on the pricier side of second hand books however the selection and quality of the editions offered more than makes up for the price (in our opinion).

Amnesty Books

Our second bookshop pick (and last overall pick) is Amnesty Books on Micklegate. As to be expected from a Nobel Peace Prize winning organisation, their range of history and politics books are second to none. For the politically engaged, the store offers a range of leaflets and information booklets on how to get involved with both the work of the charity and general activism in the local area!