York’s Vice-Chancellor outlines plans for the Easter break and Summer term

Including adding four more covered outdoor structures

In an email sent to students on 10th March, the University of York’s Vice-Chancellor, Charlie Jeffery, outlined plans the university have in place regarding the Easter break as well as returning for Summer term.

Firstly in the email, Jeffery stated that due to current government guidance, students are encouraged to stay in their current address in order to keep the spread of Covid to a minimum. This information applies to students living in York at the moment as well as students in permanent addresses elsewhere in the UK.

However, the Vice-Chancellor also stated that the government has very recently announced a travel exemption for students wishing to return home for the Easter break, meaning that students are able to leave student accommodation and travel to one other UK household and return to their term-time address between 8th March 2021 and 29th April 2021. Students are encouraged to take two rapid results test before returning home in order to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The information on travel is the same for international students as they are also permitted to return home for the Easter break. However, Jeffery said in his email that “the Department for Education strongly advises students not to travel overseas in order to minimise transmission and because travel restrictions could change while you are away and make it more difficult for you to return”. International students will have to take an official Covid test as rapid results tests are not suitable and will also need to fill out a travel declaration form in order to return home.

In his email, the Vice-Chancellor then began to outline plans for Summer Term beginning on 19th April 2021. By Monday 12th April, the government plans to announce whether or not the UK will be moving into Stage 2 of the roadmap out of lockdown. Depending on this announcement, Jeffery stated that the University, although remaining majorly online, hope to introduce some in-person activities on campus such as workshops and group study sessions as well as social opportunities and sporting activities as restrictions ease.

The VC also stated plans to open four more covered outdoor structures to be used for learning and teaching purposes as well as bookable social spaces for societies, college groups and students wanting to engage more with their course-mates.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• York’s Vice-Chancellor announces University’s plans ahead of Government announcement

University of York Economics Department lowers exam grades by 10%

Things in our student houses which just make sense