York student wins Male Undergraduate of the Year award

He beat finalists from Edinburgh, Durham and UCL

A York second year has won the TARGETJobs Male Undergraduate of the Year award, beating nine other finalists.

Lewis McDowell, a Derwent college student who studies Management, won the award on Friday, gaining a 12 month long placement at l’Oréal including a week at the l’Oréal Paris HQ, as well as nice translucent trophy.

The Undergraduate of the Year awards’ websites describes the winner of the award as someone who is “ambitious with clear business acumen, understanding of the value of innovation and resilience towards demanding goals within the fast-paced environment which L’Oréal operates in.”

Lewis, who served on Derwent College’s JCRC for a year, is a Student Brand Manager for popcorn brand Propercorn, and works in the Careers department.

He even got to meet Fiona Bruce

Lewis told The Tab: “It hasn’t really sunk in yet, but showing that York can perform against the likes of UCL is mint. It’s obviously a massive achievement and I can’t wait to crack on with my placement now with L’Oréal this summer.”

He added: “There’s no one way of winning. It’s been a combination of things I have done since sixth form onwards: founding my own business, working for Careers and being part of Derwent Ents last year.”