Carnage is coming to York tonight…

And it looks awful

So it’s here. Carnage season. And this time it’s coming to the quaint, cobbled streets of York. God knows why. Some students can barely contain their excitement. Second-year History student Emily Bagley, who has previously been to Birmingham Carnage, said: “Is it? Really? Why?” Carnage, for those who don’t know, is advertised as “the party of all parties” and “the best night of your life”, promising five of the “best” bars and one “superclub”. And if Loaded, Nuts and Zoo agree then clearly it’s going to be a winner…

This is what Huddersfield’s Carnage looked like

York’s will probably look like this

The route for York doesn’t exactly fill us with confidence. Revolution, Yates’s, Parish, Popworld and Flares before finishing in Fibbers. Really? The “best” bars in York? Megan Lloyd, a second-year Biology student criticised the route: “Willow isn’t even on it… It’s bullshit.” Not only are these bars completely irrelevant but does the capacity of these places reflect the number of people expected to turn up? Well… with just over 800 likes on the Carnage York Facebook page, compared to thousands in other cities, it’s fair to say that it’s not been the most popular event to hit York. And that might explain the discounted ticket price compared to other cities.

Awkward

On Twitter, Carnage resorted to some pretty desperate tactics to get students involved. After a revamp of their profile, a mass following spree and t shirt giveaway just days before the event, they still only have 200 followers. Not exactly the “1000’s of students” promised by the event’s website.

“Please come”

Desperate

But that’s not the only promise made by the website. Brace yourself York because this is apparently “YORK’S BIGGEST Fancy Dress T-Shirt Event” as well as “York’s undisputed Biggest Student Event”. Now that’s intense.

Undisputed, really?

But wait, have we forgotten about Viking Raid? Despite being a Freshers’ event, students quickly snap up the tickets, ensuring the event sells out every year. Without having to grovel. And actually give tickets away. But don’t worry York, apparently Carnage isn’t that great anywhere. When asked, a student at Newcastle said: “Carnage is shit…it’s just an expensive, stuffy bar crawl.” And one student at Leeds said: “It’s so overhyped. It’s just an average night.” We might be wrong. Carnage York may be the biggest and best night out we’ve ever seen. It may end up being very popular. Or it may end up being absolute shite.