Review: Christmas Ball

Being newbies to the Mermaids Christmas Ball, we had high expectations of a great night out. These were not disappointed!  We went to the Byre Theatre early for casual pre-drinks […]

Being newbies to the Mermaids Christmas Ball, we had high expectations of a great night out. These were not disappointed!  We went to the Byre Theatre early for casual pre-drinks (already quite pre-drunk judging by the hazy memories we have of this part) and subsequently suffered ticket collection and bus confusion. We were, however, one of the first few buses to arrive at Kinkell, where we were greeted by gingerbread and Janetta’s ice cream! The Alleycats were performing in the entrance and it gave the whole room a warm and Christmasy feeling!

The bar lines weren’t long (perhaps to our detriment) and everyone seemed in high spirits as the jazz band played some classics! Despite being impaled by several high heels, we successfully got our dance on. Luckily for us, Kinkell wasn’t overcrowded, a prominent feature in many other events! The bathroom queue was however, EPIC –which lead a friend to drunkenly queue-skip, be told off and then pee outside in defiance!

As the night drew to a close, coatroom drama unfolded. Some queue-skipping was necessary as it was SO long. This was due to the shoddy system of coat-checking in place! They let us loose in the cloak room to pick which ever coat we wanted… I fought the urge to take the delicious fur number I spotted out the corner of my eye. A few friends couldn’t find theirs and were rather chilly on the bus home, with only their waffle from the waffle stand to keep them warm – (they were delicious!)

Despite some minor hiccups, Christmas Ball was definitely amazing value for money, a great night out with friends, with fantastic music and atmosphere. Definitely not one to be missed!

Written by Emma Stone and Alice Goldie, standing-room-onlywriters

Photos © Kelly Diepenbrock