Sheffield student medics raise over £6,000 for cancer charity

Cold weather and coronavirus can’t stop them

Motivated medic students from the University of Sheffield have braved the weather to raise money for a local charity.

Participants have set challenges to run or walk distances of 40k, 70k, or 100k in just three weeks.

So far, the team has run over 3580 kilometres and £6342 has been raised from 485 supporters.

The money will go to Cavendish Cancer Care, an independent organisation that provides physical and emotional support for those affected by the disease.

With 55 students already enduring the challenge, Jonny Cole, Head of Fundraising at the charity, said: “When their challenge ends they can go away knowing they will have covered the cost of providing our professional counselling services for the next nine months.

“Simply being given the time to speak to someone who understands and empathises is such a valuable gift, and their donation will help us give this gift to more local families.”

Since February 8, runners have been working towards their mileages and adding to the fundraising total. The mission has motivated members of the university to get their trainers on and start running to raise money and spirits.

Nicole Hasoon, one of the runners, said: “We’ve become a community where we’re encouraging each other to get out and smash our targets. Being able to see my peers completing the same challenge and knowing you’re doing it for an amazing local cause makes it so easy to go outside in -4 degree weather.”

Services the charity provides have been hit hard as a result of the pandemic. But the organisation had anticipated shielding would bring increased feelings of loneliness and isolation so adapted with many services, such as the counselling they offer being held via video links.

Charities have also seen their income dramatically affected by the limitations surrounding mass participation events and social gatherings.

As Cavendish Cancer Care’s funding is mostly sourced from public support and donations, the money raised to date by the Medics Running Society will have a remarkable impact on the lives of those living with cancer.

With members of the Oncology, Medics Squash, Wilderness Medicine, We Are Donors, Benchball and Obstetrics & Gynaecology societies running up and down hills in Sheffield, a strong sense of purpose has been restored to those involved.

They want to encourage more people to donate as they get out in the cold and add money to the amount already made. New runners and walkers have been encouraged by this invaluable incentive to try out their PBs and experience the ‘true runners high’ given from the sense of achievement created by completing the challenge.

To find out more about how to get involved or donate to the challenge you can visit here.

Other stories:

• ‘We can’t take on the crisis alone’: Sheff Nightline volunteer pleads for more uni support

• Sheff students grabbing ‘Forgotten Students Freshers Week’ tickets crashed SU website

• The Leadmill to host an entire week of club nights when doors reopen on June 21