Image may contain: Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Poster

Jailbreak 2018: How far could you get from Oxford in 36 hours without spending any money?

The charity challenge to escape from Oxford is back

Oxford RAG’s flagship event Jailbreak is back for 2018. Taking place over the weekend of 17th and 18th January, the event looks set to be one of the biggest Jailbreak events Oxford has ever seen.

Participants have just 36 hours to get as far away from Oxford as possible without spending any of their own money on transport, and relying on the kindness of others and a bit of luck along the way.

Last year’s winners were a team of two from Brasenose College, who made it to the Western Sahara within the time limit and raised over £1,100 for RAG’s charity partners.

Image may contain: Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora, Person, People, Human

Other teams made it to Milan, Budapest, Berlin and Prague as well as locations across the UK including Liverpool and Edinburgh. The all-time distance record for Oxford Jailbreak is Tokyo, set by a group of students who took part in the event in 2014.

Last year’s event raised over £14,000 for charity, and this year organisers are hoping to raise even more. All of the money raised goes to Oxford RAG charities which are Homeless Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre, Against Malaria Foundation and Education Partnerships Africa.

RAG President, Teneeka Mai, said: "We’re really excited for Jailbreak 2018 which is going to be bigger and better than ever! The teams always have a great time over the Jailbreak weekend – completing challenges and trying to blag free rides to get as far away as possible. It’s one of our biggest events of the year and a huge fundraiser. Sign up today to get involved!"

Places for this year’s event are now available from Oxford RAG here. Tickets include a t-shirt, fundraising and safety training as well as online tracking over the weekend.