A comprehensive list of everything you need to know about Oxford’s 2016 Balls

Dates, ticket costs, themes – all of it

Ah, balls. Nights of debauchery, champagne and regret. What do we know about what’s lined up so far for 2016? We’ve done the work so you don’t have to.

Mansfield

When is it? 27 February 2016 (Saturday 6th week Hilary)

How much? £95 for non-dining tickets, £135 for dining tickets

When do tickets go on sale? Tickets are already on sale

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? The Doors of Perception

How big is it? 700 guests

How late will it go? 7pm to 5am

What they’ve said: “Look forward to incredible music, dazzling light and colour, and food and drink to blow the doors of perception completely off their hinges.”

What we say: The only Ball announced so far not in Trinity, Mansfield Ball is the obvious choice for anyone seeking a black-tie solution to the gloom of February. 

Exeter

When is it? 23 April 2016 (Saturday 0th week Trinity)

How much? £80 for non-dining tickets

When do tickets go on sale? General release is 2nd week Hilary

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? Atop Mount Olympus

How big is it? 750 guests

How late will it go? 7pm to 3am

What they’ve said: “For one night, enter into the Pantheon of the gods and join our symposium of excess and revelry. Rave like a maenad, drink like Dionysus, and dance the night away to Apollo’s tune.”

What we say: Exeter is a reliable 0th week Ball every year if you’re looking for a fun start to Trinity – your biggest worry is the unpredictable April weather.

Teddy Hall

How much? £65-£75 for non-dining tickets

When do tickets go on sale? General release is 1st week Hilary

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? To be announced in Hilary

How big is it? 700 guests

How late will it go? 7pm to 3am

What they’ve said: “Fabulous food, delicious drinks and extraordinary entertainment at an affordable price. The perfect way to celebrate the end of collections and begin Trinity Term in style.”

What we say:  Like Hilda’s, this looks like one of the best-value Balls this summer, and what’s more it’s months away from Prelims or some Finals. But like Exeter, you’re at the mercy of the weather with this one.

Lincoln 

When is it? 7 May 2016 (Saturday 2nd week Trinity)

How much? £95 for non-dining tickets

When do tickets go on sale? General release is 17 November

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? New Orleans

How big is it? 800 guests

How late will it go? 7pm to 3.30am

What they’ve said: “Revel in the many delights of New Orleans, from amazing Jazz music and spectacular Mardi Gras, to the mysterious Voodoo and the indulgent gambling scene.”

What we say: How can you choose between the five Balls on this night? We’re not sure, really, but Lincoln seems a safe bet: a great location, and with capacity for 800 guests it should be lively without being cramped.

LMH

When is it? 7 May 2016 (Saturday 2nd week)

When do tickets go on sale? General release is later in Michaelmas

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? The Final Element

How big is it? 1,200 guests

How late will it go? 8.30pm to 5am

What they’ve said: “The beautiful, sweeping gardens of LMH provide the perfect setting for guests to be immersed in the wonders of the four elements.”

What we say: Rumours of a mid-Ball firework display have been neither confirmed or denied.

Keble

How much? To be announced 7th week Michaelmas

When do tickets go on sale? General release is in Hilary

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? To be announced 7th week Michaelmas

How big is it? 1,600 guests

How late will it go? 8pm to 4am

What they’ve said: “It’s time to have fun, you must eat, dance and experience Keble like never before. This year, it’s the place to see and be seen.”

What we say: Keble are known for consistently putting on a great ball every Trinity — we expect this year to be no different.

St. Hilda’s

How much? £69 for non-dining tickets, dining tickets to be confirmed

When do tickets go on sale? General release is in early Hilary

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? Seven Deadly Sins

How big is it? 650 guests

How late will it go? To be confirmed

What they’ve said: “Indulge in your darkest secrets on 7th May 2016 as St Hilda’s is transformed into what is sure to be our most daring Ball yet. Which sin will you be?”

What we say: The last Hilda’s Ball saw dining guests arrive by punt, so watch this space. A ticket price of £69 for non-dining also makes Hilda’s the most affordable Ball this year.

Somerville & Jesus

When is it? 6 May 2016 (Friday 2nd week)

How much? £94 for non-dining tickets

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? Surrealism: Enter the Subconscious

How big is it? 1,200 guests

How late will it go? To be confirmed

What they’ve said: “”Surrealism is not a movement. It is a latent state of mind perceivable through the powers of dream and nightmare.” ― Salvador Dalí”

What we say: The Ball which three years ago promised guests a shark in a tank will definitely have some surprises in store.

Queen’s

When is it? 24 June 2016 (Friday 9th week)

How much? £155 for non-dining tickets

When do tickets go on sale? General release is 7th week Michaelmas 2015

Dress code? White tie (optional)

Theme? A Night on the Orient Express

How big is it? 1,000 guests

How late will it go? 7.30pm to 5am

What they’ve said: “Why us, you ask? We’re celebrating 675 years. It’s not one to miss.”

What we say: With one of the most spectacular quads in Oxford, Queen’s Commemoration Ball also offers students with very deep pockets the rare opportunity to attend two white-tie balls in a row.

Queen’s in 2010

Univ

How much? £95 for non-dining tickets

When do tickets go on sale? General release is 29 November

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? Interstellar

How big is it? 700 guests

How late will it go? 7pm to 3am

What they’ve said: “Space is big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. Almost as big as UNIV BALL. Tickets released on 29th November.”

What we say: As the only 9th week Ball selling for under £100, Univ is the perfect choice for some budget-conscious post-Prelims fun.

Wadham

How much? £130 for non-dining tickets

Dress code? Black tie

Theme? Wonderland

How big is it? 1,200 guests

How late will it go? 7pm to 5am

What they’ve said: “We’re taking Wonderland in a very different direction to previous interpretations; the general aesthetic is going to be very neon and synthetic. Check out our FB page for more details.”

What we say: A black-tie Ball selling for £60 less than some of the 9th week Balls, Wadham has the potential to offer the fun of a Commem Ball without the steep price tag.

Scenes from Brasenose earlier this year

Magdalen

When is it? 25 June 2016 (Saturday 9th week)

How much? £195 for non-dining tickets

When do tickets go on sale? General release is 15 February

Dress code? White tie

Theme? Magdalen: 1926

How big is it? 1,800 guests

How late will it go? 7:30pm to 6am

What they’ve said: “Large parties are so intimate. At small parties there isn’t any privacy. So, we invite you to experience Magdalen: 1926 Can’t repeat the past? Why of course you can.”

What we say: We probably don’t need to tell you that the Magdalen Commemoration is a classic. Stunning grounds, more quads than you have fingers, and a deer park. Enough said.

New College

How much? to be confirmed, around £195 for non-dining tickets

Dress code? White tie

Theme? To be announced in Hilary

How big is it? 1,200 guests

How late will it go? 7pm to 6am

What they’ve said: “The New College Commemoration ball is held every three years, to celebrate the founding of the University. It is a white tie ball for over 1200 guests, that promises to deliver the highest quality of food, drink and entertainment for all those attending.”

What we say: New College promises to be the other big-hitter at the end of Trinity. We don’t know much yet, but expect one of the best nights you will have at Oxford.