I went for a pint with the school children of ‘Punk Rock’

It was really intense

lady margaret hall Oxford University punk rock

Punk Rock is one of the most highly anticipated plays this year – something I was well aware of as I dutifully sat on a sofa in LMH bar, waiting to meet the cast.

Next thing I knew, the cast entered the bar in character. I was swiftly assaulted by the unnervingly convincing acting of the characters as they immersed me into the angst-ridden teenage world I had been so delighted to have (kind of) grown out of.

We all sat round the sofas drinking pints. Chadwick, the nerd, perched on the edge of the sofa failing to make eye contact with anything but his crotch. Cissy, the nice girlfriend of the jerk, engaged in friendly conversation about where I went to university and my love life. Tanya, Cissy’s friend, joined in with the friendliness. Really I felt very at home.

But then I started to feel less comfortable as the actors got more into their roles. I was hit on by Bennet, the womanising bully, and my personal space was completely invaded by the lech and my hackles went up. When I say hackles, I mean I turned a beetroot shade of crimson as I entirely forgot this was improv.

I proceeded to persuade the jock Nicholas (below) to buy me a pint as I was in need of an alcoholic beverage to prepare me for Bridge – a definite plus. He was totally flirting with me anyway, having been ordered to by the director. The drink was already in the bag.

The experience then descended into chaos, as the nerd Chadwick got drenched by a glass of water not once, but TWICE, by the dick Bennett. Poor old Chadwick was just sitting in the corner playing on his beloved Rubik’s Cube. The only conversation we engaged in was about how he struggled with his social technique. A problem most of Oxford can relate to.

I then felt this was the time to start my own career in acting – having been so cruelly overlooked in the past. But I got flustered when they asked me to start the game “never have I ever”. Perhaps this wasn’t my time.

I was so convinced by this cast when I saw them later drunk in Bridge, I had a mild existential crisis. Who’s being genuine? Are we all just playing roles? I can’t emphasise enough how unbelievable the actors and actresses were at convincing me of their roles, and how interesting the possible plot developments hinted in their discourse were. A definite five stars for this enticing production.

Hit up this dark comedy at the Simpkins Lee Theatre in LMH Week six. I for one will be there all four nights.