Tab tries: Autumn’s newest beauty trends

Some make you look silly, some make you look scary. Oh fashion, what’s new.

The world of fashion is a wild one, with each season spewing out overwhelmingly many different ways to wear skirts, sequins or eyeliner. Often they’re outright impossible looks off the runway. We tried some new A/W14 beauty trends for a change, according to Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar, to see if they’re any more feasible.

1. The technicolour eye

“I’m like a tropical bird”

While it tries to reinvent the trusty eyeliner beauty look, it exudes the feel of fancy dress a bit too much for daily use.

Overenthusiastic eyeshadow

This one on the other hand made me feel like I was giving myself a serious case of black eye.

Verdict: Ideal for distracting your tutor when your essay is shit but it’s your turn to read it out.

2. Minimal effort

All pale e’erythang

The ‘no make up’ make-up has been trending for a while but this is probably as easy as it gets. Literally all you do here is put foundation all over your face – including lips.

Verdict: Great if you want to enhance the effect that all-nighter has had on your look.

3. Spider lashes

Arachnid eyes

Easily achieved with some dried up mascara.

Verdict: Careful not to pair with pink eyeshadow – otherwise risk looking like you’ve just had a cry.

4. Metallic

Space odyssey

Fun to look at until the sun came out and I blinded myself whilst putting the varnish on. Variations on the trend include metallic lips or metallic eyelids; at least then you’re blinding someone else.

Verdict: If scary is what you’re going for.

5. Mini-plaits

#throwback to primary school

They’re much easier to execute on someone else than on yourself, that’s for sure.

Verdict: After a cost-benefit analysis of time spent redoing each messed up plait vs. the end effect: worth it.

With thanks to Lizzy Thompson for being an amazing help and model.