Tommy Robinson forced to pull out of Union line-up after arrest over death threats

Ex-EDL leader has violated his parole

Former EDL chief Tommy Robinson has been forced to pull out of the Union line up this Thursday – after being arrested over death threats. 

In an email sent out today, the Oxford Union confirmed that the infamous Tommy Robinson would not be able to make his Union date, as he has violated his parole.

The email said: “Robinson has recently been recalled into custody and so is unlikely to be able to speak, even allowing for an appeal.”

On 18th October, Tommy tweeted: “I am being recalled to prison to prevent me exposing police at Oxford Union. They hope I’ll get killed in custody.”

Robinson, who was leader of far-right English Defence League for four years, believes his arrest is an attempt by police to silence his knowledge of “police persecution for the past 5 years” and “police bribery and blackmail”.

He feels Police are scared of what he might say: “Now Police are at my house recalling me back to prison for my licence, reason given that I responded to a death threat targeting my family and home by saying I will be at Bedford tomorrow at 11am.”

“All this to prevent me exposing the facts on Thursday at Oxford Union.”

The Union has this morning been in contact with Robinson’s lawyers and confirmed that his recall was for a period of 28 days only. The Union still hopes to host Robinson at the Union later this term.

A message posted on Tommy’s Facebook fanpage

On his Facebook page, his personal assistant Helen Gower, said: “I think truth be known the OB (Old Bill) didn’t want him to speak at Oxford Union this Thursday as he was about to reveal some of their little secrets.”

Supporters of Tommy are worried about whether or not he will be safe in prison, due to risks posed by both his history of anti-Islamism and his departure from the EDL.

Robinson has been informed that he will be going to Woodhill Prison. In a previous interview, Robinson claimed Woodhill was a hotbed of Islamic radicalisation: “I had staff telling me that the guards don’t run the prison, Islam does.”

Over the years, Robinson has been convicted of numerous felonies, including drug offence, common assault, illegal entrance to the U.S using a fake passport and most recently mortgage fraud.

He was also convicted for his involvement in a fight between supporters of Luton Town and Newport County, during which he reportedly chanted “EDL till I die”.