Oxbridge madness: You could now apply to both!

UCAS is set to get dutty.

The ban on applying to both Oxford and Cambridge may be lifted following a probe by the Office of Fair Trading into student satisfaction.

According to the probe, the banning of applying to both Oxbridge institutions “restricts student choice” and if realized, the change would allow students to interview at both institutions.

A Cambridge don has said that the proposed new policy “could cause chaos.”

Potential scenes as 30,000 students fight for interviews

Both institutions pride themselves on a rigorous application process. The concerned Cambridge don continued, “we receive 15,000 applications a year, Oxford receive 17,500.  In terms of actually interviewing that number of students the process would grind to a halt.”

The change would inevitably threaten to undermine access schemes to attract more students from poorer backgrounds.

So confused

A second-year at St Anne’s was confused by this news, saying “but why would I WANT to apply for Cambridge? How else would I know which institutions to blindly hate, except for Brookes?”

The Chief of the Office for Fair Trading added vaguely: “We want to ensure that choice and competition between universities play a positive role in underpinning their success in future, and encourage  students, universities, employers and others to respond to our call for information.”