We Know-les who you want

Beyonce made honorary member of Oriel JCR

Oxford’s craze for making celebrities ranging from the well-known to the downright bizarre continues, with Oriel JCR recently passing a motion to make Beyonce an honorary member.

Other famous members of Oriel JCR include Walter Raleigh, and Cecil Rhodes (above)

The move follows St. Anne’s College’s recent decision to make Cher an honorary member, as mentioned in the motion proposed by Ziggy Lugg-Williams, who was unavailable for comment.

According to Oriel JCR’s rules, Beyonce will be an honorary member for one year, and does not actually have to be informed of her membership.

Beyonce is clearly a crowd favourite

Reaction to the proposal was mixed, with other suggestions including Lady Gaga as well as ‘literally all living people’.

One member expressed that the addition of Beyonce may cheapen what it means to be a member of the college: “Membership of Oriel JCR is a sacred thing.”

Oxford colleges have a long and rich history of adding some strange personalities to their JCRs, with St. Edmund Hall having both the pornstar Jenna Jameson and Ahmed the kebab man, among others.

St. John’s removed Obama from their honorary membership list earlier this year, and Worcester College making a Russian Hamster named Luka a member in February.

One person, who wished to remain anonymous, had a different take: “I think we should stop trying to play this game – it doesn’t really accomplish anything. And I’m not just saying that because my college is shit at it.”