The Oxford Film Fund Screening

Miss Tabitha was pleased with the spoils of the Oxford Film Fund’s short film competition!

Oxford’s film culture appears rather meagre compared to the mammoth Thespian world. Every wall – whether real or virtual – is consistently plastered with each term’s theatrical productions, whilst film is relegated to ‘trailers’ or actors’ interviews.

The Oxford Film Fund (formerly known as the Illyria Film Fund) is working to change this, and held its first screening of student-directed shorts at the Ultimate Picture Palace, along with one other student-directed independent film.

Overall verdict? Surprisingly good. The event itself gets a total of four stars!

But whilst you wait for the films to become available online here’s our run down of what you missed, along with announcement of the winner as chosen by judge for the evening, Marc Price, maker of Colin – the ‘£45 feature’ zombie flick that went all the way to Cannes and won a British Independent Film award.

The Secret
Written by James Harding
Dir. Constance Meath-Baker and Roland Walters

A child’s quest to discover just how an alcoholic children’s entertainer does make magic takes us on a journey back to a time when we didn’t notice mum’s chain-smoking and being left alone in a dark room was a no-no. ‘The Secret’ broke the cardinal rule to “never work with children or animals” and it was a gamble that mostly paid off – the young protagonist gave a mature and well-executed performance. The story, however, lulled at points and could do with some sharper editing. The production itself was of noticeably poorer quality than any of the other films shown but the interesting use of locations and heart-warming ending left me with, an albeit broody, smile on my face.

This film would win the ‘Tabbie’ for Most Controversial Combination – children, booze, smashed eggs, glitter and a sardonic American.

An Evening Out
Written and dir. Ben Cohen

Follow a homeless man’s journey through an Oxford college and witness his transformation from invisible vagrant to recognised attendee. There is almost no dialogue, but you are kept enveloped in the emotive storyline by a clever choice of shots and brilliant use of sound. From the initially rejected protagonist to the hedonistic students and exclusivist colleges, it brings up some interesting issues concerning the University’s place within wider Oxford – a very impressive short.

This film would win the ‘Tabbie’ for Best Original Score – Nathan Klein’s music is, per usual, spot on – exciting, enjoyable, but never overbearing.

‘An Evening Out’

Mad About You
Written by Mary Flanigan
Dir. Alastair Hope-Morley

A psychiatrist treating a patient with an imaginary boyfriend realises that perhaps she is the one that ought to be prescribed a little dose of make-believe. Rapid edits of mundane activities excellently portray the trudge of daily life (albeit clichéd – see: every other film portraying the trudge of daily life). Impressive acting, good editing and injections of dark-humour made ‘Mad About You’ the most engaging and intriguing film of the night. The script was a particular strength and a great testimony to the ‘short film’ – a compelling story in under half an hour.

This film wins the ‘Tabbie’ for Best Actress, awarded to both Millie Chapman and Becky Banatvala – although many many think it is easy for girls at Oxford to play delusional and desperate for a boyfriend, be assured that it does require finesse, and these ladies have it in abundance.

Le Marche Funebre
Written and dir. Denis Dobrovoda

A young man finds out his granddad has died and his girlfriend takes him for a walk to reflect and recollect. This was the simplest of the night’s films – no plot-twists, similar scene backdrops and no music – instead concentrating on the character’s emotions and dialogue. Although simplicity can be great, in this film the script was just not quite good enough to support it. As William Nicholson emphasised in his recent talk with OUFF – the script is everything, if you have that right then everything else will fall into place. I was left wanting a lot more from this short.

This film wins the ‘Tabbie’ for Best Use of Meteorological Circumstances – never has snow been so aptly used in a student-made film in Oxford this term.

‘Le Marche Funebre’

In Vivo
Written and dir. Thomas Shennan

‘In Vivo’ cuts between a demonic job interview and a man with a rabbit remonstrating about the world. It definitely takes the award for surrealist experience. A bit too much dialogue, less of it would have perhaps made it more entertaining, but the creative elements of the soundscape were what made this film interesting.

This film wins the ‘Tabbie’ for Most Confusing – seriously, this is a genuine accolade for a student short.

And the winner was…

MAD ABOUT YOU!

Expect to see this film shown on Channel 4 probably between an episode of Misfits and Shameless very soon.

For more information on the OFF (a subsidiary of OUDS) and its provision of film equipment for rental, as well as upcoming filming opportunities and events click here: http://www.ouds.org/oxford-film-fund.html
Also be aware that there is also the Oxford University Film Foundation http://groupspaces.com/ouff similar acronym, different role.