Review: Jake Bugg at the O2

The rising star plays to a rowdy crowd

My tutorial was on Friday morning and I’d only read two articles, but like all diligent humanities students, I chose a night of great music and no sleep over academic/emotional stability. I still maintain that my life priorities are spot on.

First – a quick plea to Oxonian music lovers – support the support acts.

Hudson Taylor’s attempt at filming a ‘screaming crowd’ video fell on deaf ears, and Valerie June prompted “Y’all still here?” before finishing her set without a thank you or goodbye. It was not a promising start.

Irish folk-pop band Hudson Taylor were first up. Unless you regularly scout beyond The Top 10 you may not have heard of them (their EP ‘Battles’ charted at 14 on ITunes UK).

The lead singer has a strong, clean voice that powers through generally solid, upbeat melodies. Overall they have a nice sound, but repetitive within and between songs.

Throughout the set I just couldn’t help thinking that, from the music to the cheeky smiles, my Grandma Hilda would like them.

Hudson Taylor also gets the award for ‘Best band at looking like they actually enjoy music’ – from here on the stage was a smile-free zone.

Next on was Valerie June – smooth folk-blues straight from Tennessee, banjo and all. Generally slow and at times laborious, but easily made up for by her distinctive and incredible voice.

The lovechild of Amy Winehouse and Rebecca Ferguson, with dreadlocks you could make a tree house in. Hair habitats aside, thoroughly enjoyable.

Finally, Jake Bugg – if you don’t know him, you probably will soon. At just 18 years old he’s lauded by many as bringing back ‘real’ music – recently illustrated in his media spat with One Direction.

It was then that the atmosphere awakened – a girl next to me shouted “OMG I’m gunna cry” and then complained that she didn’t know any of the songs for the rest of the set.

During a lull a deep, manly voice broke whilst shouting “Jake’s a f****** le-EH-gend!”

The set was a mixture of older acoustic tracks and new hard-line electric. It was in the latter that he really shone; the jacket came off, the strobe light on, and the gauntlet down.

To quote my northern compatriot “He did exactly what I expected him to – came on, played as great as the recording, and was just all about the music.”

Next time you’re crying over that essay/lab report/tute sheet – YouTube ‘Jake Bugg, Broken’ and cry even more.