CUPPERS: Healy at the double as Worcester topple New

Wadham also through to Friday’s final

Cuppers Football lincoln new semi-final wadham worcester

An Adam Healy brace helped Cuppers holders Worcester see off New to set up an all Premier League final versus Wadham on Friday night.

This match, billed beforehand as a ‘clash of the titans’, brought the fans out in their droves. Both sides’ supporters were vocal throughout in a hard fought match.

There was plenty of quality on show to thrill both the Worcester and New faithful as current Blues captain Sam Donald led the line for New, pitting him against former Blues captain Julian Austin at the heart of the Worcester midfield.

Worcester pretty in pink.

It was another Blues’ star who would steal the headlines though.  Striker Adam Healy would be responsible for sparking the game into life early on when his terrific header was palmed over by the New keeper.

Worcester had most of the possession in the first half but New always threatened thanks to the devilish set piece deliveries of Edd Hermes.

And the diminutive striker would create New’s best chance with a savagely whipped in freekick finding its way to the back post to be met by New’s centre half, who seemed to have confused himself for a Maradona-Michael Jordan hybrid as he slam-dunked the ball into the net. Unsurprisingly this goal was chalked off.

Worcester would have the best of the remaining chances in the opening period, Austin drilling a half volley into the keeper’s hands from 15 yards. The score though would remain deadlocked at half time.

Austin antagonizes New backline

The second-half started slowly with the main source of entertainment being the antics of the ‘Worcester-duck’ running up and down the touchline in the opening minutes.

But Worcester soon took the lead thanks to a cracking header from Healy, who instinctively flashed in the ball following a fine cross.

New’s best chance would once again come from a Hermes freekick, his swinging cross this time finding a stooping Sam Donald. The Blues’ skipper though could only direct the ball over the bar to cap a frustrating day for the New frontline.

Worcester would capitalise on this missed to chance to wrap up the win as a corner left the New keeper stranded in no-mans land giving the ever ready Healy a simple chance to nod in at the far post. This gave Worcester a 2-0 win and a deserved spot in the final.

The fans went quackers for the footballing feast on show

The other semi-final saw Wadham triumph in extra time with skipper Josh Vivian grabbing the winner. The game had been locked at 1-1 after 90 minutes Stothart heading Wadham level after Torsten Alexander had given Lincoln the lead.

The final is set to take place under at a floodlit Iffley on Friday at 7:30 and fans of both teams will surely be relishing the fact that Cuppers glory is within touching distance.