Donald Double Fires New Thru

Blues star sets up New vs Worcester semi as Oxford gets cuppers fever.

Cuppers Football twitter

Blues captain Sam Donald was all that separated Pembroke and New in a hard fought quarter-final as Oxford went Cuppers mad.

Pan-New-Rama of Pembroke vs New clash

New had the best of the early exchanges, Donald forcing keeper, Matt McGonagle, into a smart save.Pembroke’s best chance of an even first half came when New’s keeper spilt a routine ball, but Jesse Schwimmer was unable to convert the rebound.

With the score at 0-0 going in to the second half, both teams continued to cancel each other out until Donald produced a goal from nothing in the 68th minute. A smart turn on the edge of the Pembroke box gave him half a yard and this was all he needed to fire low into the bottom corner.

New extended their lead seven minutes later as they capitalised on a McGonagle mistake. A Charlie Court free kick from the left flank looked like presenting the keeper with a routine catch, however his fumble fell kindly to Donald who promptly doubled New’s advantage.

Pembroke managed to pull one back in the 82nd minute as the New centre back turned Oliver Radway’s driven ball into his own net after a smart quick free kick. They continued to push hard for an equaliser; however despite a few close calls, the goal didn’t come and New squeezed themselves into the semi-finals.

This victory set up New with a tantalizing semi-final clash against Cuppers giants Worcester who defeated Trinity 2-0, a Julian Austin double in extra time seeing the holders home.

Twitter-verse goes Cuppers mad.

Both sides were delighted with the tie and took to twitter to express their excitement, New College’s official football twitter billing it a ‘clash of the titans’.

Elsewhere Lincoln vs Teddy Hall went the distance as the scores remained locked at 1-1  after 120 minutes sending the tie to penalties. Alex Jennings netting the decisive spot-kick to send Lincoln through to the next round.

Cuppers semi-finalists will be dreaming of Iffley

There they will face Premier Division Wadham who secured their semi-final place with an impressive 4-2 win away at Christ Church.

The excitement is already building for the semi-finals, scheduled to take place at Uni Parks this Friday at 2pm. All the teams involved know they stand only one game away from a shot at Cuppers glory and the semi-finals look set to be thrilling for fans and players alike.