When did edgy become mainstream?

Our pit stop guide to ‘alternative’ fashion. Or mainstream, as the case may be…

babylove edgy fashion women's fashion

The irony is rife: when did the Poor Man’s wardrobe become the Rich Girls’ playground? Every girl is ‘edgy’ now, or at least trying to be.

You can’t walk down Broad Street without tripping up over some girl’s untied vintage Fila’s or choking on a cloud of second-hand Camel Blue. Listening to house used to be novel; girls wore heels to clubs; when people spoke about Mandy we’d ask ‘What college is she at?’

Oh, how the tides have turned. Julio Bashmore has got more hits on Youtube than Tiny Tempa, girls are throwing their 6 inch Kurt Geiger’s in the scrap, and we’re now dropping bomb – not shapes – on the dancefloor.

So if you’re planning on going to an ‘edgy’ night this week, you’ll have to know how to fit in because, as is apparent, going against the grain simply isn’t on the menu.

The Beanie

It will be hot and sweaty in that underground club. You may even have sampled some narcotics earlier in the evening and be feeling warmer than usual. Regardless of the sweat you feel accumulating, under no circumstances will you take off your beanie. You’re Samson and it’s your allegoric hair: all your power resides here.

No ‘alternative’ boy wants a girl without a beanie. She’s worthless, powerless and too exposed. Remain an enigma under that sweat-drenched brow.

Ripped Tights

Schoolgirl meets homeless vagabond. Regardless, it’s sexy. It gives you a story and you appear well-travelled. Be sure people know you’ve been out the two previous nights, and probably haven’t been home to change tights.

Last Night’s Makeup

Best not to wear any at all, but if you are, make sure it’s yesterday’s black eyeliner and it’s making its way down your face. Best complemented with a backcombed do.

Sports wear

Many edgy girls get their token fix from a pair of vintage high-tops, but you don’t have to limit yourself to footwear here. Experiment with an over-sized Adidas jumpers or vintage Puma T.