Grace O’Malley-Kumar’s body was tested for alcohol and drugs but Calocane wasn’t

‘It beggars belief that a toxicology report was done on our children’

The parents of Grace O’Malley-Kumar have revealed that their daughter’s body was tested for drugs and alcohol after she died but her killer, Valdo Calocane, was not.

Grace’s mother Dr Sinead O’Malley told Good Morning Britain she was shocked that Calocane hadn’t been tested or breathalysed despite driving a van into multiple people, reports ITV.

Dr O’Malley, along with Grace’s father Dr Sanjoy Kumar, branded it “ridiculous” and “beggars belief” that a toxicology report was not carried out on Calocane.

In June last year, he fatally stabbed Grace, along with fellow University of Nottingham student Barnaby Webber, both 19, as well as school caretaker Ian Coates, 65.

Speaking to Good Morning Britain, Dr O’Malley said: “It beggars belief that a toxicology report was done on our children and Ian Coates but they were not done on Valdo Calocane just because he denied having done any drugs or alcohol.

“From our point of view as parents, Calocane has to stay in hospital forever or prison forever.

“We would have preferred that he was charged with murder because there were outstanding parts of the investigation which might have negated the opportunity to plead diminished responsibility.”

Calocane was charged with manslaughter on the basis of diminished responsibility in Tuesday 23rd January due to a history of mental illness, having been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 2019.

The health secretary ordered a review into the local mental health services which treated Calocane. The victims’ families have also called for a public inquiry into the case’s handling.

Dr Sanjoy Kumar, Grace’s father, said, “Not taking drugs and alcohol samples from a driver is absolutely ridiculous!

“I worry about this person coming out. For the rest our life going forward we will have to write to the Minister of Justice to ensure that doesn’t happen and when we’re gone it’ll be our son.”

The government has so far not responded to the calls for a public inquiry.

Featured images via Shutterstock.

• Sentence of Nottingham killer to be reviewed after criticism from victims’ families

• True justice has not been served today’ say families of those killed in Nottingham attacks

‘I’ve lost my best friend’: Families of Grace and Barney give impact statements in court