UoN calls off assessment and marking boycott

The boycott has ended with immediate effect

The assessment and marking boycott, which began on May 23, has been called off after an agreement between University of Nottingham and University of Nottingham University & College Union Branch (UoNUCU) was reached on issues surrounding pensions, pay and working conditions.

Although action short of a strike will continue, the University and College Union National Office has been asked to authorise the ending of the current marking and assessment boycott with immediate effect.

In an email sent amongst staff on behalf of President and Vice-Chancellor Professor Shearer West, it was said: “There are further commitments to tackle casualisation with the continued roll out of the Graduate Teaching Assistant Model and a review of workloads, and to continue to work constructively and collaboratively to to eliminate gender, race and disability pay gaps, sharing data with unions and ensuring paid time or workload allocation to the chairs of the staff networks. 

“Finally, the agreement also includes commitments to address workplace stress, improve workloads and support staff wellbeing. 

“I fully recognise that the last few weeks have been very challenging for all colleagues, whether they opted to take industrial action or not, and I am very pleased that this local agreement brings this period to an end.

“The University Executive Board and University of Nottingham UCU Branch have worked collaboratively to agree this package of measures based on a shared understanding of what can be resolved locally.”

A spokesperson for the University of Nottingham said: “Now that the boycott has been called off, your tutors will prioritise marking your work by the university deadline of Friday 10 June. We will contact you directly after Friday 10 June if there is any delay to the return of your marks.

“We know that the boycott has caused anxiety and distress to some students. We are very sorry about this and relieved that an agreement has been reached to end the disruption.”