Image may contain: Family, Face, People, Person, Human

Former Nottingham student becomes UK’s youngest MP

MP Nadia Whittome plans to donate the majority of her salary to charity

Nadia Whittome, who studied at the University of Nottingham, was elected to represent the Nottingham East Constituency with 25,735 votes.

The previous youngest MP was Mhairi Black, whom was 20, when she was elected in the 2015 General Election.

Nadia, who was born and raised in The Meadows, Nottingham said: "It's the greatest honour of my life to represent my home city where I was born and bred".

She will represent the Nottingham East constituency in the House of Commons.

Nadia has chosen to donate the majority of her parliamentary salary of £79,000 to Nottingham charities.

She will only be taking the average yearly worker's wage in the UK, around £35,000.

Nadia hopes to raise the issue of earnings among public sector workers. She stated: "When they get the pay rise they deserve, so will I.

"It's not about philanthropy and it's not that MPs don't deserve that salary, it's the fact our teaching assistants, nurses and firefighters do as well…I hope this decision sparks a conversation about earnings."

Nadia previously told the Tab her "priority is reversing welfare cuts and restoring NHS, social care, and education funding; investing in our youth services; and tackling the crises of poverty, homelessness and climate crisis together".