Norfolk Terrace burgled by bikers

A fresher had her laptop and handbag stolen

A two-wheeled duo raided Norfolk Terrace halls on bicycles on Sunday, stealing a laptop and handbag from one fresher’s room. 

Two men on bikes were spotted on campus climbing into ground flood accommodation in the early hours of Sunday morning when residents were returning from A-List.

One victim from Block F came into her room shortly before 4am after leaving it vacant for only half an hour. She found her window wide open and her Macbook Air and handbag missing from her desk.

The confirmed burglary took place in Block F of Norfolk Terrace

She said: “I came in from my night out, dumped my bag down, got changed into my pyjamas then went into the kitchen to make some food.

“I saw two men cycling very close to the kitchen window but did not really think that much of it.

“Fifteen minutes after I saw them I went back into my room to find my window wide open and belongings missing. It was terrifying.”

Police were immediately called to the scene and further forensic examination took place later on Sunday morning.

Another incident – which police say is unrelated to yesterday’s robbery – took place in Suffolk Terrace between 9am and 11pm on Friday 30 January. Suspects entered a room which had been left unlocked and stole between £400 and £500 from a drawer.

Only one account of burglary from last night has been confirmed, but it is believed that the duo cycled the length of Norfolk Terrace, peering into freshers’ rooms and looking for open windows.

CCTV camera footage from across the campus that night is currently being reviewed in order to confirm whether the pair attempted to enter any more residences.

The description of the two young males identifies them both as white and slender, one wearing a black puffer jacket and the other wearing a top with traces of red. One of the bicycles is believed to be silver.

A police spokeswoman said: “Yesterday (Sunday 8 February) suspect(s) entered a room in Norfolk Terrace between 3.20am and 3.57am through an open window and stolen a Macbook Air and handbag from inside.

“We would urge students to get into the habit of checking that doors and windows are locked before leaving their room or house.

“Taking simple steps such as keeping doors locked could help prevent the inconvenience of dealing with insurance companies and replacing stolen property.”