5 Ways to Wear… Neon

Fluorescent hues bring to mind George Michael circa Wham!, more than sophisticated fashion fan. ELEANOR WILSON shows us five tasteful ways to wear neon this summer.

fashion neon summer trends trends

Neon. It's a trend with the ability to strike fear in the heart of even the most dedicated fashionista. Fluorescent hues bring to mind George Michael circa Wham!, rather than sophisticated fashion fan. 

Your many experiences at the unimaginatively themed 'day-glo rave' birthday bash may send you rummaging for your tutu and leg-warmers in the shades of your trusty revision highlighters. And the spring runways would have you believe that leaving the house resembling a collection of walking post-it notes is socially acceptable. 

Alas, in the world outside of 16-year olds' village hall parties and the fashion week tents, clashing neons do not aesthetically please. Fluoro pieces work best paired down with neutrals or monochrome, and with this season's shiny metallics. 

View the slideshow above for five tasteful ways to wear neon this summer.

Look 1:
Cardigan, £19.99, New Look. Top, £24, and trousers, £38, both Topshop. Sandals, £42.50, KG by Kurt Geiger at Asos.

Look 2:
Clutch, £35, top, £32, shorts, £40, sandals, £30, all Topshop.

Look 3:
Shirt, £38, and shoes, £25, both Topshop. Jeans, £22.99, New Look.

Look 4: 
Top, £10, and jacket, £55, both Topshop. Trousers, £28, River Island. Sandals, £39.99, Zara. 

Look 5:
Clutch, £50, Asos. Shirt, £38, and sandals, £70, both Topshop. Shorts, £20, River Island.