I went to a wedding fair and it depressed the hell out of me

I made up a fake fiancée

Your wedding day is supposed to be a magical occasion and as little girls we sometimes drift off and dream what our wedding will be like.

But I’ve never felt more alone than rocking up to my first wedding fair age 21, ringless, and with no “someone special” anywhere near being in my life.

I would just like to say I didn’t decide one day to go to a wedding fair for the craic – it was for journalism purposes. I’m not a crazy wannabe bride looking to pick up a husband, or planning my big day before even meeting someone.

But, afraid of being seen as such, I dragged my poor mother along with me and forced her to wear an engagement ring, even coming up with a little story in case she was asked about her fiancé. His name was Mike, he was a surveyor and he liked to cycle.

If you like it then you should have put a ring on it…

If people jumping out at you and yelling questions isn’t terrifying enough, it doesn’t compare to being asked “WHO’S THE LUCKY GUY” when you can barely remember the last time you got laid. In response, I rather euthanistically pointed at my mother and her to delpoy her ring and for me to wallow in my own self pity.

Could have done with some cake afterwards

As if the whole being painfully single and surrounded by happy loved up couples thing wasn’t reason enough to comfort eat, there were more types of cake to try than I knew existed, leading to further bouts of depression. Far from being labelled a fat bitch, the cream and crumbs made me happier than any man ever had. And none of them “forgot” to text me back.

Although after the ordeal chocolate, a blanket and a funny rom-com was needed afterwards with the mother by my side. Not that I would even consider marriage at the moment.

Pretty dresses

Having over 100 wedding suppliers were in one room and the sheer amount of people there all offering different things was crazy – it’s ridiculous how many suppliers in the same sector existed. With all the leaflets and brochures we received we could probably plan your wedding for you.

If that isn’t before I lock myself away and weep over my bitter singledom.

But at least we got some decent freebies.

My Freebies/Purchases

Wedding fairs should be left to the happy couples planning their weddings not the newly depressed and single 21-year old.