10 ways to make the most of Autumn in Newcastle

Horror film and chill anyone?

As the days get shorter, the nights get colder and the deadlines get closer it’s easy to find yourself feeling down. Waking up to grey skies and pouring rain makes the best of us want to hibernate in a cosy bed. However, for those desperate to enter their “academic comeback” era, days full of Netflix and takeaways are not always a viable option (especially for my fellow third years.)

I find it’s always a little easier to force yourself up and out to campus in the miserable Toon weather when you have something to look forward to. So here are 10 ways to give yourself a break and enjoy the autumnal weather in the Toon.

1. Pumpkin picking

What better way to get into the Halloween spirit than pumpkin picking? Gather up your pals and head down to Lintz Farm Hall. It’s a 30 minute drive from Jesmond so make sure the friend group’s designated driver is free and prepare your ultimate mini road trip playlist.

If pumpkin picking is a bit too wholesome for your liking (weird, but ok) Lintz Farm also hosts the North’s biggest scream park: Psycho Path.

2. Pumpkin carving

Once you’ve acquired the biggest, best pumpkin (that looks good from all angles) assemble your besties and start carving! Whether you’re the next Van Gogh or struggle to draw a stickman – head to Pinterest to find a design that suits your artistic abilities.

Top tip: Make sure to put some newspaper down on the carpet to prevent finding seeds in your living room for the next six months. If pulling out stinky pumpkin guts isn’t your idea of fun, fair enough, grab some paints and glitter and yassify your pumpkin.

3. Oktoberfest

Who doesn’t want to down copious amounts of beer in Lederhosen and then end up in Shaker? If that sounds right up your alley head down to Times Square for the biggest-ever Oktoberfest celebrations the North of England has ever seen. Including a huge authentic 2000 person capacity Bavarian-style beer hall, 1000s of steins to fill, spill, swill and drink and a great selection of Bavarian wheat beers and German lagers.

However, if beer isn’t your vibe they also have a huge spirit and cocktail selection. Don’t worry about filling up on pizza and chips at pres because there is a wide range of authentic German scran available. Including Frankfurters and pretzels. They even have options for my vegan and gluten-free babes.

4. Cozy night in

Horror film and chill anyone? Grab your favourite sweets and chocolate and bang on a scary film with your BOO. To save you from scrolling through your streaming service of choice for hours on end, here are some suggestions:

• Pearl (2022)
  • Insidious (2010)
  • Get Out (2017)
  • Nope (2022)
  • Us (2019)
  • IT (2017)

However, if you’re a bit of a scaredy cat, here are some feel-good spooky films:

• Wendell & Wild (2022)
  • Corpse Bride (2005)
  • Coraline (2009)
  • The Night Before Christmas (1993)
  • ParaNorman (2012)
  • Edward Scissorhands (1990)
  • Beetlejuice (1988)

5. Make your own soup

After getting drenched during your walk home from the library, nothing like a warm bowl of soup can heal your soul. As students, most of us have cupboards full of canned soup but if you’re sick of Heinz, DIY some soup.

I promise it sounds harder than it is. All you’ve got to do is grab a bunch of veg of your choice and stick it on a baking tray. Smother them in oil and seasoning and stick it in the oven for around an hour. After your veg looks golden and a little mushy, bang it in a blender. And there you go.

6. Costume party

Dressing up with a bottle of vodka at some random flat may just be the highlight of the student experience. Has anyone else noticed that everyone is much more chatty and kind at a costume party? Costumes are arguably the best conversation starter. Especially when everyone is pouring their own (unwatered down) drinks you are sure to have the funniest interactions with people you’ve just met.

Just make sure the music isn’t too loud, especially in Jesmond – because some mother of two will file a noise complaint. Avoid at all costs, running from the Police in bunny ears is a very humbling experience.

7. Jesmond Dene

Walks are a fun and free activity for everyone who spent too much on their Halloween costumes. If you haven’t had a mooch around Jesmond Dene yet, where have you been? One of my personal favourite things about Newcastle is the Dene. Not only is there a huge forest, but there’s a river and best of all: A waterfall.

In October when the leaves are falling it gives off the most gorgeous autumnal vibes. If you’re a thrill seeker get a group of friends and walk around at dusk because the Dene turns very spooky. But please be careful, make sure your phone is charged and NEVER walk alone.

8. Bar crawl

A very underrated Halloween motive is dressing up to hit Osborne Road. It’s a great option if the thought of being packed into a club like a sardine is your worst nightmare.

Unfortunately, the Toon doesn’t have an official bar crawl like Leeds does with the Otley Run. However, it’s easy to list all your favourite bars and plan your preferred route. Plan a group costume for the cutest insta post, or if your mates aren’t the most organised, just dress up however you’d like. Head down around late afternoon, have one drink in each place and you’ll be tucked into bed by 10pm.

9. The Quayside

Another staple free activity in the Toon is walks down to the Quayside. Make sure to get wrapped up because at night the temperature is baltic. However, the colourful lights on the bridge are 100 per cent worth braving the cold.

If you want to extend your trip to the Tyne there are a plethora of amazing bars around the area. My personal favourite is The Bridge Tavern. However, if you’re looking for a cheaper option there is always The Quayside Spoons.

If you don’t want to drink, another great motive is the Tyneside Cinema. At the moment they have Casper and Beetlejuice on for Halloween. They also host a “Halloween All-Nighter” with four themed screens and 17 films running from dusk ’til dawn. Plus a Halloween film quiz, including a prize for the best costume.

10. Jesmond food market

If you and your friends want to spend some quality time together on a Saturday but can never decide on where to eat, Jesmond Market is the perfect solution. With a vast choice of food trucks, there is something for every member of the mate group.

Also a great option if you’ve not been home in a while and miss your dogs as there are so many cute pups walking around the market. The food market is on every Saturday from 10am to 3pm on Armstrong Bridge.