Man charged with sexual assault after alleged attack of woman in Jesmond

Steven Donaghey was said to have been wearing a balaclava during the attack

A 22-year-old man has been charged with sexual assault following the alleged attack of a woman during early hours in Jesmond.

The targeted woman reported to have been grabbed by a man while walking along St George’s Terrace, ITV News reports.

After a struggle, the 22-year-old woman was able to get to safety and the offender fled.

The attack happened at about 3.20am on Sunday 10th September.

The offender, Steven Donaghey appeared in magistrates court following the charge, on Thursday 14th September.

Detective Inspector of Northumbria Police, Ben McIntosh has said: “I would like to thank the victim for her amazing bravery and her cooperation throughout this difficult investigation.’’

“This was clearly a worrying incident from the outset, and we have been determined to ensure the person found to have been responsible is brought to justice.

“With a man now charged and due to appear in court, I would ask that everyone avoids any speculation – both on social media and out in the community – that could jeopardise the live legal proceedings.

“We will continue to carry out increased patrols in and around the area, and anyone with any concerns is encouraged to speak to us.”

Recommended articles by this author