Manchester Uni will share updated statement when it can following Fallowfield incident

UoM will provide further information as soon as they are able to do so

The University of Manchester has said it will update students with “further information” following the serious incident that took place in the early hours of the morning on Wilmslow Road.

In their statement earlier this morning, The University of Manchester released a statement saying only a “serious incident” had taken place and students have been told to stay away from the area which took place very close to Owens Park accommodation.

The incident is being reported by some as a murder investigation following a “young man’s death” but Greater Manchester Police told The Manchester Tab it will neither confirm nor deny this. However, a BBC Manchester reporter said earlier this morning that police at the scene are “telling people there’s been a stabbing”.

The university has said it is working with Greater Manchester Police and can only provide further updates in line with the police.

What do we know so far?

Greater Manchester Police confirmed officers performed CPR on a man who “had been seriously injured” in an incident on Wilmslow Road at approximately 2am this morning.

Police have cordoned off from the junction with Landcross Road to opposite Owens Park accommodation. An investigation is underway and the cordon is expected to be in operation all day.

Students within the cordon have told The Manchester Tab they have been told they cannot leave.

Detective Superintendent Neil Jones of Greater Manchester Police South Manchester Division admitted the person responsible has not yet been found and has assured residents specialist officers are “investigating at pace” to find them.

Bus services continue to be diverted along Dickenson Road, Birchfields Road and Moseley Road away from the area.

Anyone with information should contact police via gmp.police.uk or 101 quoting 240 26/10/22. Information can be shared anonymously via the independent charity – Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.