UoM and MMU to increase online teaching due to rise in positive COVID cases

The majority of teaching will now be online

Due to a rise in the COVID-19 infection rate in Manchester, The University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University will be moving more learning online; a change which will be implemented from tomorrow. This information follows the news today of 1,061 new positive cases at UoM, including 20 members of staff.

In an email to students, the university has said that they “will be retaining some in-person teaching on accredited and professional programmes; for on-campus laboratory, clinical and practice-based teaching, where it is safe to do so. All other teaching will move online, including Academic Advising and most small group sessions.”

The university has also commented: “Our campus remains open and we will continue to ensure the necessary safety precautions are in place to make any activity on campus as safe as possible. Students will still have access to libraries and study areas, although opening hours may be shorter.

Students  have also been encouraged to remain in their current accommodation and not return to family homes, though the university has said that “in exceptional circumstances (if) students wish to return home for a period, we will work with them to make sure they can safely leave the campus. We will continue to provide support for students on and off campus.”

These measures are to be in place until 30th October, but will be reviewed on 23rd October.

Professors Nancy Rothwell and April McMahon also thanked students in their message, saying: “As we continue to have to adapt to living with COVID-19 we would like to thank you for your understanding and for taking responsibility for protecting yourselves and your local community.”