Image may contain: Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora, Suit, Overcoat, Coat, Clothing, Person, People, Human

Tributes left for UoM student Charlie Pope who died last week

‘A beautiful boy, we will miss you Charlie’

Tributes have been pouring in for first year student Charlie Pope, who was found dead on Friday in the Rochdale canal.

Charlie's girlfriend, Anna Purdue told The Tab: "Charlie was such a precious part of so many peoples lives. He made so many people so happy.

"The fact that this tragedy and so many before it could have been easily prevented is both incredibly upsetting and frustrating.

"I wouldn’t give up this last year with Charlie for the world and it’s something that I’ll treasure forever."

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Charlie and Anna

Messages left by the side of the canal included: "We all love you like a brother, we'll never forget the way you made us laugh."

"Cut way too short, an incredible human being," another read.

Image may contain: Balcony, Water, Outdoors, Canal

An opened bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale and candles were also left in tribute to the 19-year-old.

A spokesman from the University of Manchester said: “We are all very saddened to hear this tragic news and the university will be providing any support and assistance we can to Charlie’s friends and family.”

Charlie's aunt, Mesha Tari said: "Charlie was the most amazing boy. I have the best memories of him growing up from a baby and too a intelligent funny young man. We will live in his memory every single day.

"We want to raise awareness for the canals and we’ve created a hashtag, #makecharliethelast"

A petition has also been started to ask Manchester City Council, the Bridgewater Canal Company and Peel Group to put up barriers along the Rochdale canal.

According to police reports there were 61 deaths between 2008 and 2014 along Manchester's waterways.

When this article was written, 12,520 people had already signed the petition.