Image may contain: Suit, Overcoat, Coat, Clothing, Person, People, Human

Body found in canal believed to be missing Manchester fresher Charlie Pope

The first year student had been missing since Friday morning

The body of a young man was found in the Rochdale canal on Friday afternoon, although the body hasn't been formally identified it is thought to be missing fresher Charlie Pope.

Charlie Pope, 19 who was studying social sciences, was last seen at around 4.50am on Friday morning on Whitworth Street.

He had been to Zombie Shack in the city centre on Thursday night.

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Text

A spokesman for GMP said: “Officers searching for missing man Charlie Pope have found a body in Manchester City Centre.

“As part of enquiries being carried out to find 19-year-old Charlie, an underwater search was carried out in the canal just off Whitworth Street West yesterday, Friday.

“Just after 3.40pm the search team found a body in the canal.

“Although formal ID is yet to take place, it is believed to be Charlie Pope.

"His family have been informed and are being provided with support from specially trained officers at this tragic time.

“There are believed to be no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and a file will be passed to the coroner.”

Image may contain: Balcony, Water, Outdoors, Canal

A University of Manchester spokesman said: “We are all very saddened to hear this tragic news and the university will be providing any support and assistance we can to Charlie’s friends and family.”