Exclusive: Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi was a student at the University of Salford

The university have released a statement to students

| UPDATED Hide Images

The Tab Manchester can exclusively reveal that the University of Salford has released a statement confirming that the Manchester suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, was a student at their institution.

The full statement to university students reads:

“Dear student,

All at the University of Salford have been shocked and saddened by the events of last night. Our thoughts are with all those involved, their families and their friends. We have provided, and continue to provide, support to all students and staff that have been affected.

We have now learnt that the suspect named by Police, Salman Abedi, was a student of the University. This is a further shock to all of us, and we understand how this will affect all members of our University community.

Great cities, like great people, show their true values in adversity. The support and help we have seen given across Manchester and Salford last night and today shows the true spirit of our area. This is an amazing place, and we stand by each other.

In an unrelated incident earlier this evening there was an evacuation of three buildings on campus as a precautionary measure for a short period of time. We are grateful for the calm way in which students cooperated with the evacuation. All buildings reopened quickly and we have returned to business as usual.

If you need support, we’re here for you: our askUS service is your first port of call. Visit the desk at University House, go online at http://www.askus.salford.ac.uk/contact or call 0161 2950023.

Our Faith Centre provides a quiet space if you need a place for contemplation, and our chaplains are there to support you if you need it.

It’s likely there will be significant media attention on campus over the next few days, and members of the press may approach students for comment. We are managing the press, and we encourage you to refer them to the University’s Press Office. You don’t have to talk to them if you don’t want to.

We are strong, and we stand together.

Yours,
Neil Fowler”

It is reported that Abedi studied a business and management degree but unconfirmed sources claim that he dropped out before completing his course.

The university was evacuated earlier this evening due to reports of a suspicious package, with students told to leave three buildings on the Peel Park Campus. However, it was later reopened and tweets confirmed that a university fashion show would go ahead as planned.

If anyone knew Salman Abedi or has any information regarding his time at Salford please email [email protected] or get in touch with us via our Facebook page.