Manchester one of top 60 unis in the world

We smashed it as always

Manchester has been ranked as a world-class university, beating most of our UK competitors in this year’s Times Higer Education rankings.

We came in at 56th, beaten only by 7 other unis in the UK. They were the usual suspects of Oxbridge, Kings, UCL, Imperial, LSE and Edinburgh.

The UK came second only to the US in terms of the number of world-class unis it has that are featured in the top 80, and has the second highest number of international students among the top 200.

High on the list

The rankings cover higher education institutions in 70 countries worldwide, and are created through interrogative research into the quality of a uni’s teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.

The UK managed to snag 78 of the top 800 spots this year, so even among our home country competitors we’ve done well.

Phil Baty, the editor of the Times Higher Education rankings said: “This year’s expanded list is testament to just how competitive global higher education has become – our top 800 universities come from 70 different countries, and the traditional dominance of the US is eroding.”

Despite higher competition than ever, and with 29 new countries being included this year, we’ve still managed to almost tip the top 50 in a selection of 800 unis that make up less than 4% of the world’s higher education institutions.