Two girls raped in broad daylight near Sackville Street

Greater Manchester Police are investigating yet another sexual assault

Two teenage girls were raped on Saturday in broad daylight in the city centre. 

The girls, aged 15 and 17, were reportedly raped near a car park on Brazil Street, close to Sackville Street and the Gay Village.

The Greater Manchester Police were called to the scene around 4pm on Saturday, however they believe the horrific incident happened before that, in broad daylight.

The dreaful incident happened near to Sackville Street on Saturday afternoon

The scene of the assault was cordoned off by police yesterday as a CSI team carried out an investigation, and detectives are appealing urgently for any extra information provided by potential witnesses.

Specially-trained police officers are due to interview both teenage girls at a later stage.

No arrests have been made yet.

A spokesman said: “Shortly after 4pm on Saturday 19 September 2015, police received reports that a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old girl had been raped on a car park on Brazil Street in Manchester city centre.

“An investigation has been launched and the victims are being provided with support from specially trained officers. A scene remains in place on Brazil Street.”

Brazil Street, where the assault took place

GMP’s Protect team’s Detective Inspector Debbie Oakes, said a full investigation into the incident is now underway.

“We are still in the initial stages of our enquiries but we believe that the attack on these two girls has happened at around 4pm.

“The city centre is a very busy place around this time on a Saturday and I would like to appeal directly to anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the area between 3pm and 4pm to please contact police.

“I know incidents like this can cause a lot of distress but I would like to assure the public that we will always take reports of this nature extremely seriously and we have launched a full investigation.”

This comes after a harrowing spate of sexual assaults in Manchester and the Fallowfield area last year.

Sickened by yet another report of sexual assault, third year medic Ash said: “The rape situation in Manchester is horrible, it needs to stop before we can feel safe again.”

“I just don’t feel safe anymore, the police seriously need to step up their game”, fourth year Hannah told The Tab.