What your halls say abut you

How are they the same people every year?

Fallowfield

Richmond Park

Having gained the reputation of the poshest halls in Fallowfield you’d expect it to be filled with people studying law, PPE and medicine alongside some half decent facilities. You’d be wrong. There are at least as many Leisure Management and Sports Science students here as OP and the “en-suite” is more of a half waterproof cupboard someone’s accidentally dropped in your room. You might be surrounded by designer labels but they won’t be able to taste the difference between Moet and Lidl’s finest. Majority rules that its not worth the extra dollar.

“Daddy there’s no paddock for the pony.”

Try all you like, a fisheye camera doesn’t make you vibesy

Sheavyn

If you want to sit around in your smoking jacket discussing politics then Sheavyn is the place to be. Labelled “posh” and “dull” by most ex-residents you’ll be wishing you applied for Owen’s Park. That way at least you’re living in tower and don’t have to look at it from your window everyday. 4th Year Engineer Scott says “It’s about as much fun as a fire in an orphanage.”

Tower

The hall equivalent of a yearlong bender in Kavos, you’ll need an iron stomach and a love of house music to survive a year in this place. OP is home to Manchester’s biggest party animals and with a 30% fail rate and 9 o clock lectures probably aren’t your thing either. You think you’re the shit and will probably be working overtime at Koh Toa to fund your new-found coke habit. But at least you’ll have legs of steel after climbing 17 floors every day when the lift is broken.

Manchester’s biggest eyesore

Says it all

Oak House

So you’re going to spend a year living in a building designed by Her Majesty’s prison services, but at least you’ll have a first year to remember. In theory. You’re the type to be found sipping a flat white in Northern Quarter or trying out your tattooing skills in your mates kitchen. The awful conditions will take you back to that time you visited that South African slum in your gap yah.

It’s just as bad on the inside.

Woolton Hall

Woolton attracts people from both ends of the scale and the class system is formed on who is flash (or stupid) enough to have an en suite. At £167 a week it makes for one of the most expensive dumps on campus. You may fancy yourself as the next Regina George or Blair Waldorf, as this is a place reliant on cliques and hierarchy.

How the other half live.

Ashburne 

Nicknamed “Gashburne” due to a mainly female demographic. You may have come to uni with visions of finding female solidarity and bonding with your flatmates over cups of tea and Bridget Jones. Its one of only halls that no one seems to have anything negative to say about, just don’t apply here if you want a mental year. Third Year sociology student Beth says “Norman the warden is a legend.”

Actually somewhere you’d like to call home.

City Campus

Wright Robinson Hall

We hadn’t heard of it either. It’s one for the hardcore engineers that fancy the idea of practically living in their lecture theatres. Your usual weekday night out will consist of overpriced junk food from Piccadilly station or spontaneous study sessions in Barnes Wallis (its an old library apparently). Expect to hear “Where the hell is that?” when you try to explain where you live to your Fallowfield friends and don’t even bother inviting them to yours for pre’s .

Maths second year Adam said ” Someone always throws up in the lift” and according to second year Chloe “It’s a great place for wannabe food thieves.”

Nothing like a pass agg note between flatmates to clear the air.

Weston Hall

You didn’t come to uni to work hard and play hard, and if you did you’re in the wrong place. You plan to barricade yourself in your room with a year’s supply of food and Netflix.  Knowing the names of your neighbours isn’t a concept here.

Second year Vicki spent a painful year here, and said: ” the rooms are tiny and showers are awful. Loads of people had bed bugs and silver fish. It’s daylight robbery.”

The nutella incident was the highlight of last year.

Filling a friend’s room will balloons is a hall prank classic.

Whitworth Park

You applied here because your student loan won’t stretch to  a packet of biscuits, you’re an international student or you want to roll out of bed five minutes before lectures. Or no one told you about Fallowfield.

Advantages include living within crawling distance of Greggs and living in a building resembling a giant Toblerone. Expect to be late for lectures, even though you have no excuse whatsoever. You’ll probably be on first name terms with the staff in Gemini in no time.

Second year Zoology student Miriam said: “It’s fun but shit.”

It looks like a shit Butlins.

Denmark Road

You probably got into Manchester through clearing but somehow you’ve managed to cop the nicest halls by far. People are actually fairly outgoing considering you’re not in Fallowfield and the bathrooms laugh in the face of OP. The only downside is the dangerously close proximity to Man Met.

You might want to label your food.

George Kenyon Hall

The crème de la crème of Manchester halls. You’re heavily reliant on the bank of  mummy and daddy and are probably the child of the ambassador of Chile or something similar. Good luck hiding your inheritance when you tell people you live here princess.

Victoria Park

Hulme Hall

Each block actually has a different personality and atmosphere; if you like people and socialising you’re a Greenwood or Burley type, if you don’t you should be in Houldsworth. You should also get used to correcting your mates when they pronounce the name of your halls wrong, every time.

Language student Ryan said “Look forward to a diet of carbs with a side of carbs.”

Let’s face it, You won’t be applying for “Come Dine With Me” any time soon.

Burkhardt House

If you’re excited about your year in Burkhardt then you didn’t do your research. Wayward freshers only end up here because they let their mates choose their accommodation or they don’t like having fun. Enjoy a year of festering away in a mouldy room that sucks up your student loan quicker the room does your soul. The only highlight of living here is the promise of Burkfest.

Medic Ben said ” I was ill more times in my year at Burkhardt than in the three years before uni.”

You can’t tell how shit is it from the outside.

Victoria Hall

You’re the type of person who’s already looking forward to leaving the club at pre drinks and you tend  to be secretly pleased when plans get cancelled. You might need to learn some basic DIY to survive in this place as things are 95% broken and the maintenance staff are a myth.

Second year Elena said: “I had to put oil in my hair and eye shadow under my eyes and beg them before they agreed to fix my shower after it had been broken for two weeks.”

Classic Victoria Hall

Dalton Ellis

Dalton attracts a diverse crowd to say the least. Perhaps you’re a member of a cult or only eat foods beginning with the letter H,  at least you’ll never feel like the weird one. The freshers at Dalton are a friendly bunch who take pride in their uniqueness and bond over the horrible living conditions and bottles of vodka in the squash courts. That’s if they ever leave their rooms anyway.

Second Year linguist Lucy told us “Dalton is a cute dysfunctional family.”

You’d fit right in at Dalton mate.

St. Gabriel’s

Manchester’s only all-female halls. Less of a breeding ground for bra burning radical feminists, more of a weird girl’s boarding school. This place is perfect if you’ve spent your whole school career sans boys or are consciously trying to avoid the other (very scary) sex. It might be every guy’s fantasy but this isn’t a place of lesbian experimentation and eroticism so much as a collection of pre-pubescent school girls scared of catching cooties.

Third year Kate said ” Don’t bother stocking up on durex and booze. You won’t need them here.”

Don’t waste your money.

St. Anselm’s

The only all-male hall on campus. If you put this as your first choice you’ll fit into two categories: you’re a proper “bros before hoes” kind of guy, in search of like-minded individuals to share epic bants and a cheeky Nandos with. Or the opposite sex terrifies you completely. It’s probably the latter.

Come on Guillaume let’s go find Timothy and Hugo for a cheeky Nandos.

Opal Gardens

With a virtually non-existent social scene, Opal is ideal for all those aspiring hermits on campus. If you’re lucky you might bond with others that hate living there as much as you do.

Geographer Evie tolds us ” You can hear students in other halls having more fun than you.” Worse still Third year Ellie said ” I’d rather not go to uni and keep the debt than live in opal gardens ever again.”